107 replies to this topic

#21 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

No, it was designed by the owner of the company, a certain Luca Bassani, with the help of a designer.

It's a groundbreaking design because all the shiny chromed stuff and protrusions and accessories and mountings were done away with or hidden. Which was also what the iPod was about, now that I come to think of it.

#22 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

I remember seeing D&G yatch, that was gaudy. The zaha hadid's refer below. I love her designs.

http://www.designboo...did-z-boat.html

#23 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Research into the world of business cards brought forth this:

Posted Image

#24 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

Wow that is supercool. How does it stick back together?

#25 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

It doesn't!

#26 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Lawyers are usually poor marketers, and that is a fine example. What a stupid idea.

Still, a poor second to a firm I saw advertising divorces on a buy one and get one free basis.

#27 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

It doesn't!

Talak 3 la like that

#28 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

Pretty cool video, I thought was beutifully made.

http://thisismadebyhand.com/

#29 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

What a good way to show what the organization is about!
Posted Image

#30 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Pretty cool video, I thought was beutifully made.

http://thisismadebyhand.com/

I just watched the video on the knife-maker. This is fantastic, thank you for the link.

A few points of note from that video:

1. It took him 15,000 hours (roughly 2 years) to get to day 1 (which is the day he made a knife he found acceptable). This is roughly in accord with what Malcolm Gladwell asserts, that it takes roughly 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to be proficient in a field of endeavour. I approach this from an investment manager's expertise angle, but it is surprising how things/concepts are equally applicable across seemingly disparate industries.
2. The difference in handmade items are all in the details.
3. You need a consumer base who is willing to be educated (forget China at the moment).
4. The goal is to reach the pinnacle of craftsmanship, but the reward is rarely monetary, it is more in the relationships/quality of life that ensues.

There kotmj, more material for your interview.

#31 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

I think a lot of what makes great products so difficult to bring to market is that greatness comes from the pursuit of a certain ideal, and that this ideal is worth pursuing because it is far removed from "industry standards". So great products are great because they are not standard products.

The problem when you are developing something very different from industry standard is that the excellence cannot come merely from yourself. Most products are very complex and require contributions from many suppliers. Your product isn't just yours -- it's also your suppliers'. What are the chances that you can get your ecosystem of suppliers to deliver products which are vastly different from what they are used to producing?

Many suppliers won't bother. They know where the money comes from -- sell more of their existing products, make them more cheaply. To go on speculative development projects with a crazy guy is ambiguos, takes up energy, and may not pay off.

So the reason why most products are average is that it takes huge amounts of energy, persuasion and fortitude to achieve a noticeable elevation from the average. It helps to be very vertically integrated, because what you fail to persuade can then be dictated by executive fiat.

To be a real luxury producer requires vertical integration.

#32 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

This thought came to me after I tried over the last month to get a great business card out of this designer but all she could deliver is a generic one.

#33 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Man, the graphic designer is so mediocre. Have a find a better one pretty soon.

There is a lot of demand for minimalist graphic design. We're talking lots of wide space, sans serif fonts, light grey elements, etc.

There is some demand for retrospective designs. Old fashioned designs. ("Distinguished" some would say.) So Garamond fonts. Dark type.

But nobody does designs which engender a strong sense of occasion and wonder.

This is one of Cirque Du Soleil's setups. What a great design.

Posted Image

#34 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

You should see their shows, amazing sets,the characters, the story, the music. Had the chance to watch "O", truly out of this worl show

#35 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Here is an idea for a unique engagement present to impress future in-laws:

http://www.smh.com.a...1012-27gmg.html

#36 andrew

andrew

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Posted Image

#37 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

I was at a customer's apartment. He collects art. So all around were paintings and prints. I saw two new prints he had framed -- one was captivating. He got it from the Guggenheim. Camille Pissarro's The Hermitage at Pontoise. The quality of the print is astonishing. I could not tell if I was looking at a reproduction or an oil painting. The cracks in the paint - are those real or just ink? Only USD20 from here

http://www.guggenhei...sposheratp.html

#38 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

The painting is also very affecting. It doesn't look special in online pictures but in person it's difficult to stop looking at it.

#39 Fiddler

Fiddler

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Lawyers are usually poor marketers, and that is a fine example. What a stupid idea.

Still, a poor second to a firm I saw advertising divorces on a buy one and get one free basis.

Very astute observation...I can bet you there is no such card being exchanged at the moment. In the world of advertising this is known as a scam...a piece of eye-catching creativity (that often ignores logical considerations like usability) done just to win an award for creativity.

#40 Fiddler

Fiddler

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Attached File  RIMG0092.JPG   88.73K   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users