• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Interesting you bought all in one Mcintosh, they're usually known for the amps. How's the sound anyways? And the price if you dont mind me asking?

#42 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I find myself wishing Apple would make a calculator. How cool would that be, instead of the Canon crap I have to use.

#43 Fiddler

Fiddler

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Interesting you bought all in one Mcintosh, they're usually known for the amps. How's the sound anyways? And the price if you dont mind me asking?

I used to own separates and could never get over the obsessive upgrading of components...theres always a better tube, cable or power conditioner and it drove me nuts.

This allows me to get out of that mode and just enjoy the music. The musical signature is very mcIntosh..warm, tubey, very analog and superb musical separation. I love it.

Ong sells it in Sin and Msia for some godawful markup, which I feel is unjustified ....needless to say they did not get my business....the worldwide RRP is USD6.5K.

#44 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Jonathan Ive is so smart

#45 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

I used to own separates and could never get over the obsessive upgrading of components...theres always a better tube, cable or power conditioner and it drove me nuts.

This allows me to get out of that mode and just enjoy the music. The musical signature is very mcIntosh..warm, tubey, very analog and superb musical separation. I love it.

Ong sells it in Sin and Msia for some godawful markup, which I feel is unjustified ....needless to say they did not get my business....the worldwide RRP is USD6.5K.

I have an entry level separates, i got when in my student days. Thankfully i'm not really into upgrading so it stayed pretty much the same. I am getting jaded with the system, was contemplating all in one Denon or an AV sytem. I've got an affinity towards Denon. Cant bloody afford the McIntosh even the all in one system. Crazy man at that prices you can get reasonable separates. Well its McIntosh, you get what you pay for.

#46 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I'd like recommendations for a good A4 paper to print on. I've extensive experience with the usual brands like "Double A" which is commonly used in offices. The problem with papers of this quality (they're all the same) is they become fuzzy and mushy after a tiny bit of handling. Say you print out your AirAsia boarding pass on it. By the time you reach your destination, the paper is no longer presentable. It looks like a wad of tissue paper.

I admire the Japanese-made exercise books Muji used to sell. The quality is fabulous and the paper starts off crisp and remains crisp even after much handling. Another example of really good paper is this Maruman memo pad from Kinokuniya.

Posted Image

I used it to jot down shirt specs for the shirtmaker, and even after much handling, the memo paper comes back wrinkled, yes, but still crisp.

I am looking for an equivalent in A4 size, plain, for the laser printer.

Thanks!

#47 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

You can try the folks at cziplee for advice. They carry lots of stuff and generally know their products.

(null)

#48 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

#49 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Wet dream
http://www.ebay.de/i...=item19d806fbdc

#50 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Wet dream
http://www.ebay.de/i...=item19d806fbdc

Ah, so you're into this kind of thing.

#51 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Ah, so you're into this kind of thing.

The shears are mine!

#52 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

The entire thing is hand forged.

#53 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

How shears of this kind are made:

#54 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I've always prefered pencils over pens in all kinds of writings and sketchings. It was only yesterday that I discovered good pencils -- made in Japan pencils by a certain Tombow Pencil Co. Ltd. The other Japanese pencil maker is Mitsubishi. They can be found at Kinokuniya and Isetan.

I wrote with the Tombow Mono J 2B just now and the quality difference over the Faber-Castells is palpable. I use exercise books (made in Japan also) from Muji and they are great. Forget about Moleskines -- they are too precious, and quite heavy. Muji & Tombow all the way.

Look at the reviews on Amazon, the Americans are amazed too:
http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Tombow has a dizzying range of wooden pencils, and some are retrospective, like this here:
Posted Image

#55 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Came across this artist today at a Sunday market. His art practice consists of various manipulations of discarded paper patterns from Savile Row tailors. He is also working on a PhD investigating the relationship between paper patterns as historical documents. This stuff is right up my alley, and it might be for some of you too. I'll probably get a piece next week.

His phd abstract:

Abstract

This thesis presents an art practitioner’s exploration of the uniforms of the British Raj using military tailoring pattern drafts as his raw material. Traditionally patterns are treated only as a means to the end; making clothes. Typically they are discarded once their purpose is fulfilled. Few people other than the tailor/pattern cutter have any relationship with them, as one would have with a garment. This thesis proposes tailoring patterns have been undervalued. They can be viewed as the primary historical documents of the clothing industry. Also, far from being a mechanical part of the production process, patterns can be viewed as drawings in their own right. As drawings they are unique abstractions of the human form that emerged independently of art history and significantly predate abstraction as an art practice. In this thesis they are also demonstrated to be a rich and rewarding material for a contemporary art practitioner to work with.

Due to complete in 2013.

http://narielwalla.com/phd/

#56 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

H. Narielwalla is the author of the dege & skinner book.

#57 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

Came across this artist today at a Sunday market. His art practice consists of various manipulations of discarded paper patterns from Savile Row tailors. He is also working on a PhD investigating the relationship between paper patterns as historical documents. This stuff is right up my alley, and it might be for some of you too. I'll probably get a piece next week.

His phd abstract:

Abstract

This thesis presents an art practitioner’s exploration of the uniforms of the British Raj using military tailoring pattern drafts as his raw material. Traditionally patterns are treated only as a means to the end; making clothes. Typically they are discarded once their purpose is fulfilled. Few people other than the tailor/pattern cutter have any relationship with them, as one would have with a garment. This thesis proposes tailoring patterns have been undervalued. They can be viewed as the primary historical documents of the clothing industry. Also, far from being a mechanical part of the production process, patterns can be viewed as drawings in their own right. As drawings they are unique abstractions of the human form that emerged independently of art history and significantly predate abstraction as an art practice. In this thesis they are also demonstrated to be a rich and rewarding material for a contemporary art practitioner to work with.

Due to complete in 2013.

http://narielwalla.com/phd/

VERY interesting.

#58 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I have an entry level separates, i got when in my student days. Thankfully i'm not really into upgrading so it stayed pretty much the same. I am getting jaded with the system, was contemplating all in one Denon or an AV sytem. I've got an affinity towards Denon. Cant bloody afford the McIntosh even the all in one system. Crazy man at that prices you can get reasonable separates. Well its McIntosh, you get what you pay for.

Good writing paper in UK is relatively cheap. Clairefontaine and Rhodia. V smooth and doesnt bleed when fountain pen is used. Printing, I'm not sure :/

#59 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

I am shocked by how MONSTROUSLY big the antique hand-forged shears are. The picture doesn't really show the size difference, for some reason. In the foreground is a Shozaburo 11".
Posted Image

The quality is stunning. Very well-preserved, like museum quality.

#60 Misfit123

Misfit123

Megatimer

• The Shoe Fairy
  • 476 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users