107 replies to this topic

#101 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

I too, found the same issues with my iPad.
Instead of going down the Surface route, though, I bought the 11-inch Macbook Air.

My experience with the iPad put me off Apple products entirely. Well I have also played around with a friend's MacBook and found the whole experience very unusual. This was back when OSX looked like a candy store, with these glossy, candy-like icons and screen elements. I found Apple to be very big on cute stuff -- cute design, cute effects.

What I really need is an austerely-designed, flexible work machine. All that eye-candy is not necessary. I have written a thesis before in Latex, so I can deal with a raw interface. When someone hands me a USB stick with documents on it, I need to be able to read and edit them.

What really binds me to MS is Office. In particular, Excel. I've downloaded various spreadsheet apps and used Google's spreadsheet and they all suck so bad. Only Excel is Excel.

#102 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Get the MS cloud, I think it's called one account or something like that it can go on multiple device. I would get it but I have it on my laptop so no real need for my iPad unless you want hardcore functionalities like what you get on your laptop then it might not be suitable. It looks like a tablet version of ms office. If I had a choice I prob would've switch to a mac already.

#103 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

I've always cringed when people buy macs but 90% of their time hang out in a virtual Windows environment, and even when on OSX, still use mac's version of MS Office. But you've got to hand it to Apple - they knew design alone would sell, even before we, the consumers, did. 

#104 urban

urban

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

I have consistently used Windows for work and OS X for personal stuff.

There are pros and cons for both systems. If you like things to run smoothly and intuitively but in a very confined manner, you will like Apple.

#105 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

They do make their product quite seamless and truth be told I've always been anti apple until my iPod and then iPad. Truly I've enjoyed both products probably the only reason I didn't jump on the iPhone bandwagon is because I just don't want my life to be monopolised by them.

#106 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

I held an iphone 6 today. It's lovely. The only apple product whose industrial design i like.

#107 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

Really? The iphone 6 has 2 design "flaws": the camera lens protrudes out so now the phone does not lay completely flat, and the antenna lines ruin the overall design of the back. Not terrible enough to put people off spending way more than necessary on a phone but hey they are there.

#108 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

It is a much more human design (soap bar) than all previous iPhones that try to mimic all sorts of strange things. Polished bevels, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users