Sign in to follow this  
Zinzan

Alcoholic Anonymous

No fixed place really, sometimes bsc and sometimes Vins at TTDI, not too expensive and not a bad selection but most of the time is at home. Call me cheapskate I really dont like paying full duty on my whiskies. And i even bought an ice ball, supposedly it decreases the contact area with the whisky. Hehehehehe. The damn thing works, it really does improve taste of the whisky.

The chef? Met him several times, nice chap. The Dato', I've not had the pleasure. They had Auchentoshan, my friends and I finished it off last week so I'm not sure whether they've restocked. I like the food there, its reasonably priced and its pretty quiet.

dato? not sure whether we are talking about the same pub. i thought it was opened by my fren's cousin. didnt know he was a Dato, mebbe its his dad.

anyway i got a bottle of auchentoshan three woods. one day we bantai kotmj with a few rounds till he is drunk enough to agree to make suits for us cheap cheap... muahahhahaaa..

This what i've been told by my friends, there are 2 partners. One was was the chef at bulldog hmas, he basically partnered with this Dato' (cant remember his name) i think Director of MIDA or Matrade one of those agencies. Betul tidak i dunno la bro.

Cool dude, we'll coerced him under the inlfuence. Wakakakakaka. I'll bring the cigars. Now how do we get TS, to hand over all his cloth supply?? Kekekekeke

I actually welcome the idea of being force fed single malt whisky. You will find my liver quite formidable.

Talisker 10 year old. My first bottle of this, and I'm completely blown away. Probably one of the much better scotches for the price.

Nose is smokey, sweet fruit, more smokey with a hint of peat. Pallet is smokey, a little hint of fruit (citrus perhaps?), spice, peat and pepperry. Man this is one whisky with character - it hits you hard! Finish is satisfying with the spicy peppery and peat lingering.

Cut with a bit of water, the whisky opens up and you get less kick from the pepper, but you get so much more fruity flavour. I'm convinced its orange I'm tasting.

Price was only AUD$60. Fantastic value for money. I'm a huge Laphroaig fan (only tried the 18 year expression), but this definitely gives that a good run for its money.

Talisker is sublime. Every sip you take, you keep tasting different things. I'm also big fan of Laphroaig (quarter cask) and agreed Talisker is definitely there or thereabouts. Not as peaty as Laphroaig though thats a good thing for people dont quite like the peat.

Tried Isle Jura 16 yo 2 days ago. Tasted like bourboun, sweet. Once the ice dilute the whisky, it tasted better.

Looks like I'll have to pick up a bottle of that quarter cask Laphroaig.

Went to the local whisky bar to meet some friends just now, and the resident scotch expert (who is a woman btw) poured us some Glenfarclas. Fantastic stuff. Sweet, spicy, complex - tasted almost like a sherry. Had to cut it with water about halfway through, and more fruity goodness came through - mind was sufficiently blown. Will have to go back and get what details of what expression it is, I suspect it is the 15 year.

Shame that indoor smoking is banned in Melbourne, a cigar with that would have been perfection. They should make an exception for whisky bars!

Kotmj, i do suggest goin to Tong Woh at PJ State (MBPJ building). It has one the cheapest price in KL and also the biggest cellar in KL for wine and whisky because they are biggest distributor of alcohol in Malaysia. They have an amazing selection for wine, they carry the gran crus. I get all my Japanese whisky from them. Talisker is available at KLIA duty free so my suggestion is to buy at duty free if you can because the Talisker i bought at klia was 200 plus, my guess at tong woh would be 400. So my suggestion go for Yamazaki 12 which cost 270 and you got spare change for a good bottle of wine. The reason i suggested Yamazaki, i could never find any Japanese whisky at duty free.

^ Zinzan is the man to talk to when it comes to finding good food and whisky! We'll have to meet up for some makan and good whisky + cigars when I'm back in town.

Hoho, now I know where to get the bounty. Wonder if I can get there this weekend.

Hahahahaha. I'm glad i can contribute something to the kerbau.

Kotmj, fyi its closed on sunday. Its the row behind Maybank, so basically the inner layer facing the MBPJ Tower. The wine selection is good and cheap, i know some people buying their wedding drinks there. I've seen bottles of champagne Veuve Clicquot that is cheaper than duty free. The salesmen are knowledgeable, they look like samseng and they are btw. If you want recommendation ask them, they'll give good recommendations.

6, your on dude till your next hols.

After the great recommendations, tried a Talisker 10y.o. tonight.

Good stuff, I like it, although I'm not sure it's that much better than my default Islay favorite, the Bowmore.

Kotmj, i do suggest goin to Tong Woh at PJ State (MBPJ building). It has one the cheapest price in KL and also the biggest cellar in KL for wine and whisky because they are biggest distributor of alcohol in Malaysia. They have an amazing selection for wine, they carry the gran crus. I get all my Japanese whisky from them. Talisker is available at KLIA duty free so my suggestion is to buy at duty free if you can because the Talisker i bought at klia was 200 plus, my guess at tong woh would be 400. So my suggestion go for Yamazaki 12 which cost 270 and you got spare change for a good bottle of wine. The reason i suggested Yamazaki, i could never find any Japanese whisky at duty free.

I hope to drop by this Saturday.