Sign in to follow this  
Zinzan

Alcoholic Anonymous

Tried Nikka miyagiko 12 and highland park 18 last night. Highland park so rich and textured honeyed and smoky finish, after taste of spices that lingers on the tongue. It blew me away, the best whiskey I've tried this year so far. Was big fan of their 12 yo expression. Miyagiko was not even memorable after the highland park.

Went to Tong Woh today. TW is like a chinese medical hall on steroids. Bought Auchetosan 12 year. They are out of many things like Talisker 12 and Yamazaki. They have lots of Nikka.

Don't get me wrong, I love my whiskies as much as the next guy (okay maybe slightly less, but only slightly) - but why is there no discussion on wines?

I do want to start some discussion on it but there's doesnt seem to any interest in alcoholic beverage. I don't want to be sounding a drunkard by posting too much on this section. Anyways since we're already on the topic was just gifted a chateau grand puy lacoste 2003. Rated 90 by Robert Parker and 92 by wine spectator. But I'm gonna lay it down for a couple years.

Dude, you just came back Rome, do tell what wine you managed to sample

Oddly enough, I didn't sample a barolo despite it being the king of Italian wines. Over the course of a few weekday dinners...

Monday was an amarone della valpolicella, I think a 2003 Altesini. Very intense blackcurrent aroma, I immediately thought of petrol due to the concentration. Not a fan, but I probably shoulda let it stand some time.

Tuesday was some gibberish wine recommended by an otherwise-excellent restaurant (best aglio olio I've ever had). Next-to-nil acidity meant it tasted like grape juice with alcohol.

Friday was a 2010 Banfi rosso di montalcino, from aforementioned restaurant. Surprisingly enjoyable to drink - plenty of fruit with good balance. Great beginners' wine.

Saturday was a 2007 Terre de Barolo barbaresco... cost thrice as much as the Banfi for just a pinch more complexity. Otherwise, a decent wine but nothing to shout about.

More excited by what I bought back - 2003 brunello by Banfi and a 2004 sagrantino from Arnaldo Caprei. Latter was recommended by the shop assistant in DFS. I hope she's right, because I passed up a couple of Gaja wines for it. When I got back, I walked into a nearby wine bistro with an enoteca machine, they were selling Gaja's 2007 barbaresco for $172 a glass... I could've gotten a bottle for that price!

How is alchohol priced in SIN? They're very expensive here in KUL because of the taxes. Also, a few years back the government issued a circular that said no new brands of alchohol can be imported into the country. Not sure if that is still in force.

Back when I lived in Europe the best value wines were Spanish Gran Reservas that often have a wire net around the bottle. When I was writing my Master's thesis I consumed a bottle every couple of days.

Can we import alcohol through the post? I have a Spanish friend I might ask to send me some.

Xmas came early today with bottles of Bowmore 18 yo and Auchentoshan 3 wood. I am already half dizzy with the Bowmore. Simply sublime.

Hahahaha. I used to drink teachers student days but its shit, horrible stuff. But I think decent scotch wouldn't be too expensive. Try the Islay laphroaig 10 its rated quite highly scores bout 97 by jim Murray. But that's really peaty. Try balentines 17, that's highly rated too.

Actually dude, why don't you try buying online master of malt and whisky exchange. Wanted to ask hows the beers, are you enjoying their ale. My fav was caffreys or gosh that was like Irish milkshake and carling premier.

When I was writing my master's thesis I was mostly drunk. Something about writing encourages alcoholism.

Another plug for the Bowmore Islay 18 yo. First day back at the office, and I could use one right about now. Neat please.

Problem with drinking finer stuff is that the lower ranking stuff are ignored. Johnny Black is probably going to be relegated to shoe polishing duties. No, I did not really say that, did I....

^ I almost always polish with a side of good scotch, encouraging a Pavlovian response to the practice of polishing :P

Bowmore will be next on my buy list. A whisky would taste great now actually - it's been a tough week in the office.

This is considered the mildest of Islay single malt, can consider if you find Bowmores too smokey / peaty. I am a smoker so I enjoy the smoky taste while inhaling a stick. Never tried with cigars, don't know how to appreciate one YET. I have one of this Glencairn whisky glass, really nice for nosing.

bunnahaven_zpsc0b1cdc5.jpg

Current bottle for CNY season, don't really like the taste but it reminds me of Chivas but with more character. It tasted much better at the whisky bar before I bought it. Maybe I was drunk or tasted too many different whiskies in the evening thus tastes buds are affected.

deanston_zps26449f06.jpg

I use to be a smoker, so I can take the smokey Bowmore. I have never tried your three whiskeys yet (still a whiskey newbie, you can say). I still have one unopened bottle of Auchentoshan. Just curious, does whiskey "go off" if you leave it for too long (eg 1 year)?

Auchentoshan-3-wood.JPG