Sign in to follow this  
Zinzan

Alcoholic Anonymous

Sealed bottles should be ok. For opened bottles, the more air inside the bottle, the faster the taste will change. If you intend to store a half empty bottle for a long time, go use those air displacement spray (buy from wine stores) and seal up tape. Remember to store the bottles upright as the alcohol will destroy the cork. A brittle cork is a nightmare for me.

Not bad petla nice selection there. Im an ex smoker too but im more lapgroaig and jap whisky kind of guy. Got the glencairn glass but I only use it for anything above 18 otherwise it's the whisky ice ball for me.

Most of the time, I drink all my whiskey neat with the nosing glass. Various aged whisky may have different characteristics which may be appealing too. Sometimes I like to experiment with a few drops of water. Sometimes I make a hot toddy when I am having a flu.

Auchentoshan 3 wood is nice, tried a dram in the whisky bar. I find Japanese whisky more mellow, very nice for relaxed drinking with friends. Getting popular in pubs as a party drink over here, Nikka from the barrel and Yoichi single malt. Suntory is popular with Japanese expats.

I usually go to Quaich bar (the old branch near Zouk) and I have yet to meet the owners who are busy with their new front at Resort World Sentosa. Sometimes I retail at La Maison du Whisky at Robertson Quay.

How is the whisky scene in Malaysia? I heard of a nice jazz bar in KL called No Black Tie but I have yet to visit.

Yeah I've tried the Nikka and Yoichi several times, very nice. Yamazaki is getting more expensive than the time they were introduced here by at least 10%. Its very very popular now at the bars yamazaki and Hibiki 17. My friends tend to like Yamazaki, for them there's no hangover. To be really honest i still go through the hangover so i dont know what the fark they talking about

My holy grail for Japanese whisky right now is karuizawa. On other fronts i was trying to get Amrut the Indian whisky, when i was in Mumbai but didnt manage to. And of course more traditional choices of scotch would be more Bowmore 18, something i've tried a long time ago didnt enjoy it but maybe its good time to revisit cuz my palette has changed.

Favorites like i've mentioned before laphroaig, taliskser, Highland Park, Hakushu and Ichiro.

The whisky scene here, there a place called Whisky Bar in town, I've not been there so i cant really comment. I kind of like the bar in Grand Hyatt at the moment, its freaking expensive and its no smoking policy so that tends to be a deterrent among my friends. No black tie for live jazz but its mostly expats and bit too posh for me. If jazz is your thing Alexis at Great Eastern Mall has good live jazz on the weekends. Deluca in changkat is not bad too but i was in private function so i dont know whether they play jazz at other times.

In Singapore I've had the opportunity to go to a private cigar club at Regent Hotel and they had a whisky collection that's nothing i've ever seen in my whole life. They had 50 years vertical Macallan from 1925. They had 50 year old highland park that inscribed with the owners name. Amazing stuff. They actually introduced me to Yamazaki 18 that was about 4 years ago when nobody's heard of Japanese whisky.

I heard good things about Amrut but yet to try. La Maison du Whisky list this Indian distillery in its price list. Other than this shop, no where else I know of.

The other "Indian Whisky" sold in the supermarkets here are made fermented molasses rather than Indian grain. Quite tasteless at all.

Nice - Petia is an alcoholic after Zin's heart.

This kerbau drinking sesh needs to happen!!

The reason I frequent Quaich Bar is the monthly promotional bottles at nice prices and the cigar room with the nice high back chairs.

56B0FEBF-D77B-4D38-B5D8-17FA032B5018-3085-00000460FD1404EB_zps7c71b8f9.jpg

Nice - Petia is an alcoholic after Zin's heart.

This kerbau drinking sesh needs to happen!!

Hear hear mate!! I'm getting sick drinking papa rich every time I'm at AL

Wait till 2020 after the completion of the KL - SG hi speed railway I can come over for the drinking sessions.

Petia, is quaich near grand copthorne? I remember seeing it when i was staying there last on business trip but it looked like it was shut down or was it because it was a weekday..... cant remember. Hopefully i'm gonna be in grand copthorne again in March, will definitely stop for a drink this time. Didnt know they had a cigar room, that is cool. I thought all places have banned indoor smoking.

It is just beside Grand Copthorne. There is a bigger outlet at RWS Sentosa. Let me know when you are in town, can have a drinking meetup.

I can go KL easily once the high speed bullet train thingy materialise in 2020?

I am so far impressed by the quarter cask. Smells of light fresh wood in a forest, taste is smooth and just glides down the throat so easier. Slight peaty taste but it lingers on forever. The feeling is very relaxed and soothing.

However if you let it linger on the tongue for a while it changes character with a tinge of chilli spicyness. This drink is like a woman character.

Was at whisky bar last night, at last tasted Amrut fusione, been looking for this for the longest time. A nice sweet marzipan taste to it. Also had the Amrut Indian, forgettable, nothing outstanding. Bowmore 18 and maccallan 1851 inspiration. The winner of the night was the maccallan.

Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc. Brewed and bottled in Malaysia! Amazing "bouquet" like a Belgian fruit beer.

You've should try the fusion that was totally different Indian. This was remarkable, jim murray rated it 97. And I really liked it, and planning to buy this for my island getaway.

The bar I went to only have the single malt. Still hunting for the elusive fusion by the dram. Or I have to be adventurous and buy a bottle.

Martini is a terrible beverage. Bacardi is a better way to reach momentary enlightment at a low cost.

I drank a quarter bottle of Martini Rosso, then a can of Asahi beer and now I'm hiccupping and coughing uncontrollably.

Martini is a terrible beverage. Bacardi is a better way to reach momentary enlightment at a low cost.

Haha the martini is a great drink. It has to be made well though. My favourite iteration is 3 parts Tanqueray Ten gin and 1 part vermouth, garnished with a lemon peel.

The most potent version I've tried was at a restaurant which served south american cuisine where they had 2 parts gin, 1 part tequila and lillet blanc to replace the vermouth. Delicious but deadly - 2 glasses and I was done for the night - that is to say, in full flight delighting at the sound of my own voice.