Sign in to follow this  
Zinzan

Alcoholic Anonymous

Vodka lime was one of my introduction to alcohol that and bacardi coke. In uni i was drinking a lot of southern comfort and 7 up. I was in UK and i was drinking bourbon, what an idiot.  Me and my friends  we used to buy bottles of Jack Daniels in disco in London. We had to pay 400-500 quid for a bottle when a glass was 10 quid........ Style mah....... double idiot.  

Vodka is actually sweet, i find that it has vanilla tinge to it. I will post up the pic of the Ukrainian bottle sadly its empty when i have a my Merdeka drink tonite. Happy Independence Day everybody!!!

That's 400 to 500 pounds right? Gee not many bottles required for a Saville Row suit, although to be fair, if we are talking uni days, chances of getting laid via Saville Row is much less than asking Uncle Jack for help.

Enjoying a Russian Standard right now.

Well its still far off far off from Saville Row suit, and at the time the fashion was Patrick Cox shoes and Dolce & Gabanna suits. As promised vodka bottle pics galore:-

2013-09-01105009_zps31da0df5.jpg

2013-09-01105019_zps91f7d623.jpg

2013-09-01105028_zpsd44b22f1.jpg

And one full bottle of vodka

2013-09-01105046_zpsd60a00ca.jpg

That's a really neat bottle.  Good souvenir!

BTW, have you tried Chopin vodka yet?  Polish vodka, apparently one of the few made from potatoes.

No i've not, since i've not been travelling to ex commie states somehow vodka is less on my radar. Although im curious to try Patron tequilas but whenever im at duty free i'll revert to safe bet of whisky.  

Just bought a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 year - now sipping it. Great aroma, nice and full bodied. Sweet.

Glenlivet was my go to whisky when i started drinking single malt. The 12 very easy and the 15 sherry cask i think has slight sweetness to it. But now i think my palette has progressed (dont want to sound pompous) but i find they lack complexity. The opening and taste is quite good but the finishing lacks a little ommph. But i do prefer this to Macallan any day.  

Glenlivet 15 is my favourite for easy drinking. Can go through half a bottle of that easily. Too easily. 

-----------------

Sounds like one could develop an unhealthy habit with this stuff. 

Glenlivet was my go to whisky when i started drinking single malt. The 12 very easy and the 15 sherry cask i think has slight sweetness to it. But now i think my palette has progressed (dont want to sound pompous) but i find they lack complexity. The opening and taste is quite good but the finishing lacks a little ommph. But i do prefer this to Macallan any day.  

-----------------

Looks like I'll have to try the 15 at some stage, but I think I'll shell out a for a yamazaki next.

-----------------

I just grabbed some whisky stones (which are soapstones, I found out) over the weekend. Just in time for summer. 

whiskey-stones-soapstone.jpg

Had Nikka Yoichi 20 years old last night. Wow full bodied whisky so uncharacteristic of japanese whisky. Quite  in your face, i tasted coffee sweetness and sourish but it had a smooth finish. Good stuff. 

Yamazaki 12 years and Bowmore 18 years for xmas this year. Auchentoshan still remains unopened from last year. Methinks need poker session soon.

Got pretty trashed on the following in the last few weeks:

12 yr glenfiddich

16 yr glenlivet

12 yr(?) organic bruichladdich

Probably drank half a bottle of each. With great appreciation, of course. 

Went to whiskey sifu wedding dinner. Never had so much whskey in my entire life.

Reception drink an assortment of single malts

Dinner the table consumed 2 bottles of buna 18

After dinner party at the bar, the lady boss just pile us non stop with drinks.

Had no idea how I got home in stupor...

44DD8F94-5758-40B2-B6DE-927B20BCD948-205

Chinese new year brings gift hampers. And gift hampers contain sweets, cans of abalone and bottles of cognacs. Over the years - the house stores have become quite full with these products.

This year I reached for a bottle of the more premium stuff which has been lying about the surplus items, ignored by my scotch swilling father - Hennessy XO - and wow, I was completely blown away by it. Complex, delicious, luxurious.

I'm getting quite used to having a small glass after dinner now..

No wonder its so popular - I'm glad I have discovered it for myself.

So I made my first Old Fashioned. (Don't laugh)

IMG_20170317_235448_zpsbj5t6ltr.jpg

The internet contains many methods to make the same drink with the same ingredients. So the below is one that I followed for no particular reason other than the fact that it didn't involve maraschino cherries (because I don't like them):

Add 2-3 dashes on Angostura bitters into a chilled glass with a cube of sugar.

Drop a cube of ice in and stir with an ounce of bourbon until solution is diluted and sugars evenly spread out.

Add an orange peel with other cube of ice and another ounce of bourbon.

Muddle the orange peel and stir drink until ice cube dissolves.

Fill cocktail with ice.