• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#41 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Kotmj, i do suggest goin to Tong Woh at PJ State (MBPJ building). It has one the cheapest price in KL and also the biggest cellar in KL for wine and whisky because they are biggest distributor of alcohol in Malaysia. They have an amazing selection for wine, they carry the gran crus. I get all my Japanese whisky from them. Talisker is available at KLIA duty free so my suggestion is to buy at duty free if you can because the Talisker i bought at klia was 200 plus, my guess at tong woh would be 400. So my suggestion go for Yamazaki 12 which cost 270 and you got spare change for a good bottle of wine. The reason i suggested Yamazaki, i could never find any Japanese whisky at duty free.

#42 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

^ Zinzan is the man to talk to when it comes to finding good food and whisky! We'll have to meet up for some makan and good whisky + cigars when I'm back in town.

#43 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hoho, now I know where to get the bounty. Wonder if I can get there this weekend.

#44 Misfit123

Misfit123

Megatimer

• The Shoe Fairy
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Cari cari makan dengan zin zan. Dun forget our plot tho!

#45 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hahahahaha. I'm glad i can contribute something to the kerbau.

Kotmj, fyi its closed on sunday. Its the row behind Maybank, so basically the inner layer facing the MBPJ Tower. The wine selection is good and cheap, i know some people buying their wedding drinks there. I've seen bottles of champagne Veuve Clicquot that is cheaper than duty free. The salesmen are knowledgeable, they look like samseng and they are btw. If you want recommendation ask them, they'll give good recommendations.

6, your on dude till your next hols.

#46 dynamite

dynamite

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

After the great recommendations, tried a Talisker 10y.o. tonight.
Good stuff, I like it, although I'm not sure it's that much better than my default Islay favorite, the Bowmore.

#47 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

I need to revisit Bowmore. I think that is the first Islay that was really popular

#48 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

Kotmj, i do suggest goin to Tong Woh at PJ State (MBPJ building). It has one the cheapest price in KL and also the biggest cellar in KL for wine and whisky because they are biggest distributor of alcohol in Malaysia. They have an amazing selection for wine, they carry the gran crus. I get all my Japanese whisky from them. Talisker is available at KLIA duty free so my suggestion is to buy at duty free if you can because the Talisker i bought at klia was 200 plus, my guess at tong woh would be 400. So my suggestion go for Yamazaki 12 which cost 270 and you got spare change for a good bottle of wine. The reason i suggested Yamazaki, i could never find any Japanese whisky at duty free.

I hope to drop by this Saturday.

#49 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

#50 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:34 AM

Any Glenmorangie Signet fans?

#51 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Tried Nikka miyagiko 12 and highland park 18 last night. Highland park so rich and textured honeyed and smoky finish, after taste of spices that lingers on the tongue. It blew me away, the best whiskey I've tried this year so far. Was big fan of their 12 yo expression. Miyagiko was not even memorable after the highland park.

#52 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Went to Tong Woh today. TW is like a chinese medical hall on steroids. Bought Auchetosan 12 year. They are out of many things like Talisker 12 and Yamazaki. They have lots of Nikka.

#53 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love my whiskies as much as the next guy (okay maybe slightly less, but only slightly) - but why is there no discussion on wines?

#54 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

I do want to start some discussion on it but there's doesnt seem to any interest in alcoholic beverage. I don't want to be sounding a drunkard by posting too much on this section. Anyways since we're already on the topic was just gifted a chateau grand puy lacoste 2003. Rated 90 by Robert Parker and 92 by wine spectator. But I'm gonna lay it down for a couple years.

Dude, you just came back Rome, do tell what wine you managed to sample

#55 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Oddly enough, I didn't sample a barolo despite it being the king of Italian wines. Over the course of a few weekday dinners...

Monday was an amarone della valpolicella, I think a 2003 Altesini. Very intense blackcurrent aroma, I immediately thought of petrol due to the concentration. Not a fan, but I probably shoulda let it stand some time.

Tuesday was some gibberish wine recommended by an otherwise-excellent restaurant (best aglio olio I've ever had). Next-to-nil acidity meant it tasted like grape juice with alcohol.

Friday was a 2010 Banfi rosso di montalcino, from aforementioned restaurant. Surprisingly enjoyable to drink - plenty of fruit with good balance. Great beginners' wine.

Saturday was a 2007 Terre de Barolo barbaresco... cost thrice as much as the Banfi for just a pinch more complexity. Otherwise, a decent wine but nothing to shout about.

More excited by what I bought back - 2003 brunello by Banfi and a 2004 sagrantino from Arnaldo Caprei. Latter was recommended by the shop assistant in DFS. I hope she's right, because I passed up a couple of Gaja wines for it. When I got back, I walked into a nearby wine bistro with an enoteca machine, they were selling Gaja's 2007 barbaresco for $172 a glass... I could've gotten a bottle for that price!

#56 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

How is alchohol priced in SIN? They're very expensive here in KUL because of the taxes. Also, a few years back the government issued a circular that said no new brands of alchohol can be imported into the country. Not sure if that is still in force.

Back when I lived in Europe the best value wines were Spanish Gran Reservas that often have a wire net around the bottle. When I was writing my Master's thesis I consumed a bottle every couple of days.

#57 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Can we import alcohol through the post? I have a Spanish friend I might ask to send me some.

#58 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I really don't know been curious to try it out. The problem with customs you never know especially ith alcohol.

#59 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Posted Image

A visit from the green fairy

#60 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Did you remember anything the day after? Must be the worst tasting shit i've ever tried in my life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users