kotmj

Shirts

On 03/05/2018 at 11:46 AM, kotmj said:

That's why it is necessary to have a tame, muted, universally accepted BD when the customer doesn't come from menswear enthusiast circles.

The great unwashed

Soktas Linda Meander 71

66% Cotton 34% Linen

Very  light and porose, relatively less prone to wrinkles than pure linen. Single ply. Horizontal unstructured fine white lines across. Translucent with light, suggested as shirt fabric for hot summer days.

Dbx9C2r.jpg

2nd from right chosen as test shirt

IMG_8170_1.JPG

I've made quite a number of shirts in the Soktas Linda Meander 71. It has a weft of slubby linen. Warp is the Meander 71, a particularly long staple cotton grown on Soktas' own plantation in the Meander Valley. I had a customer in the shop last weekend who took delivery of a navy linen jacket in H&S South Pacific linen, and was keen on a linen shirt. He's from the Indian subcontinent, and has a strong preference for all things linen. For the shirt, he wanted a pure linen, but I nudged him towards the Linda. I think the Indians grow up with a sort of reverence towards linen, so he was torn between pure linen, or a linen-cotton. I told him the Linda is "less agricultural". He said he has no problem with linen's "agricultural look".

About the Meander 71: I've been wearing a shirt in the very stout 2X2 ply Meander 71 lately. Argh! It's not suitable for the Malaysian climate! It wears very warm; totally not porous. But it is very smooth and feels indestructable. It's not exactly thick, but just feels compactly woven, almost crisp, and just very smooth with very little surface hairiness. In that sense it is something special and non-generic. In cooler climates it would make a wonderful shirt.

Right now as I'm typing this I'm wearing a shirt in a fabric that was woven like a net. Super porous, but thick and heavy to prevent skin colouration from showing through. It's super comfortable for our climate.

The single ply Meander 71 doesn't feel warm. Just a little too translucent and a little too 'shiny' for my liking. 

Just found out that it is tough to iron out the creases as well. LOL