kotmj

Shirts

For a first collaboration with him, it was better than expected. I've had MTM shirts made from so-called "high-end" brands which were total train wrecks the first time around, oftentimes ending up with an overly fitted shirt which was not functional in any way and had to be totally redone. It's as if they didn't add any extra allowance at all to my body measurements.

From what I can tell, this Button fellow has potential. You should see the shirt he was wearing, it looked fantastically straight and clean, but not skinny in the very least, which is the look I'm going for. My fit still needs to be ironed out no doubt, and I will be taking this shirt back to him after I've had a chance to launder and press the shirt. A relationship with a tailor is not built over one collaboration, after all. Instead, I'm very much interested to see how he reacts when I point out the flaws in the shirt which need fixing. If he is open and can provide solutions, then I know I'm in good hands. If he scratches his head or does not even acknowledge them - then my business will go elsewhere.

@joonian You should definitely go and interview him and look at his handiwork, then report back to us. I'm a small timer after all and only have MTM suits done at best.

Button's (i seriously think that's his name) shirt does look much better. horrible tie, knot, watch and spectacles though.

would be very interested to see how he develops your cut. for now i will stick to ah loke.

Can anyone comment on TM Lewin's shirts? They just opened up a store in 1 Utama 50% off the all shirts if you buy 4, which comes to about 199 a shirt.

I've checked the website they are having a sale i chose the same 4 shirts and it came to 105 pounds.

Im thinking of trying for sizes at 1u then getting them online.

Bkt - if you're relatively slim built, get the "fully fitted" shirts. They have a nice taper without being extreme, and are more slender than their "slim fit" shirts. I can't comment on the fit of the other cuts.

Those TM Lewinn shirts are so easy to iron too! Especially the folds on the sleeve near the cuff.

Details - nice unfused collar and cuffs, reasonably nicely shaped cutaway shaped collar, split yoke construction. Fabric is 2-ply, does not feel silky, but doesn't feel "cheap". But prices for bespoke shirts in Malaysia is not far off, just sayin'.

Bkt, I have 5 of them which i use regularly.Got 5 for 100 pounds.They are very reliable shirts and very comfortable. I recommend you purchasing from them online.The added VAT savings ou get will make them worth it. I wear the slim fit ones but it still needs to be altered. Brought it to Ah Loke and he charged me RM20 per shirt.

But prices for bespoke shirts in Malaysia is not far off, just sayin'.

Only if you buy from their retail outlets (RM399 per shirt). However, they can be had for about RM110-150 off the net, depending on whether you get taxed or not. Gotta buy 4 at a time for the discount to take effect, though.

They're good value for your everyday work clothes. I got 3 of them bought in Singapore, wasn't sure of the size, if not i would've bought online.

I think ill get 4-5 since i can properly try them now i was always hesitant because i was not sure about the fit, i did i mock check out the VAT discount effectively pays for my shipping. If i order them now will i get them by the 30th?? im flying back to MELB on the 1st feb .How's their shipping time, or would it be better to mail it to my MELB address.

Also was at uniqlo their shirts seem decent for the price and fit quite well.

I recently Brought about 15 shirts at AL for alterations, i think its about 20 bucks a shirt as well

Shipping time is anywhere between a week to a month. Its our customs, I think. Record time was just before Christmas: 7 days flat to my wife's office. Got taxed, though. Previous shipments to my office was tax free (there's a myth why).

6, I find it very difficult to diagnose the problems with the shirt. I'd just wear it to buttonliew and let him tell you how the next shirt should be different. I do not think one rotate sleeves on shirts, only on jackets.

I went in this afternoon, and overall it went well, we went through the problem areas and started noting changes to be made. I wish he would have picked out the problem areas in the fit without me having to draw his attention to them. I mean, him being the experienced tailor, getting the fit right is his job, and something he should take pride in. If an element of the fit is dependent on the preference of the client, then he should prod and ask to get me to articulate to him what I want. If what I want is ridiculous, he should at least try his best to dissuade me. Assertiveness was lacking.

The bright side was that he did educate me on which folds and creases need to be there for movement and comfort especially around the sleeves and back area. Anyway, we shall see how the new shirts come out.

I am also quite disappointed he did not seem enthusiastic on my badass, Tom Wolfe'ish, collar specifications.

Yes, but I have no idea what sort of interlining he uses. I am not impressed. It's not soft and substantial at all. It's better than the manilla paper feel and look of his standard fused collars at least. I'll probably have to source my own interlining if I continue to use him down the track. But a big part of me really cbf sourcing this stuff.

You notice how regular fused collars are smooth on the outside but the underside (where the stays go in) are always a mess of cloth? This is due to shrinkage of the fusible interlining. One of the big issues I had to deal with was shirtmakers not pre-shrinking the interlining, making non -fused collars difficult to iron and look strange. My solution is I sourced my own interlining, shrunk the shit out of it, and asked them to use it.

BTW no tailor pre-shrinks anything around here. I read on SF of a shirtmaker of some reknown offering pre-shrinking as a cost-plus option. Clearly, it's not common anywhere.

Maybe because some shirtmakers take into account shrinkage when cutting the material for the shirt? Seems like shooting in the dark compared to pre shrinking the material beforehand. I guess it's less effort on the shirtmakers part.

Gshen's influence is far-reaching indeed. Dropped off a recent order of shirt buttons to Button Liew today and he showed me a stash left there by one of his other clients which were identical.

Maybe because some shirtmakers take into account shrinkage when cutting the material for the shirt? Seems like shooting in the dark compared to pre shrinking the material beforehand. I guess it's less effort on the shirtmakers part.

It's not the same at all. The seams don't pucker as much if you pre-shrink the fabric.