33 replies to this topic

#1 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

You know, I think Malaysia produces the worst tea in the whole planet. Boh, my God, undrinkable. Doesn't matter what label.

I like Darjeeling, though there really are many grades of it.

But the tea I drink a great deal of is Japanese green tea. You cannot substitute this with green tea from China -- they are two very different products.

In the office I drink Japanese green tea from tea bags. This is the cheap stuff. The cheapest stuff are the ones they serve at Sushi KIng which is an instant green tea.

At home I drink nicer green tea. The better ones are of the Sen Cha (lit. new tea) grade, but you have to make sure you actually have to pay money for it. There are lots of lousy green tea masquerading as Sen Cha. Isetan sells many types of Japanese green trea -- I'm drinking a pot now.

The important thing about tea is the brewing. Make sure the water is no warmer than 80 degrees Celcius. Brew for no longer than 60 seconds.

#2 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Tea drinking is an art...coffee drinking is a habit. I still havent been able to appreciate green tea...must be the cheapo stuff I've had all this while. Sen Cha, you say? I'll have a look-see tomorrow.

BTW, my favourite 'regular' tea is Earl Grey...Whittard makes an excellent-tasting EG.

On the subject of teas again, The Westin's breakfast buffet serves some fancy-ass teas. The teabags are actually muslin cloth. The 'cap' is Jing or something like that.

#3 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

The important thing about tea is the brewing. Make sure the water is no warmer than 80 degrees Celcius. Brew for no longer than 60 seconds.

I've heard this mentioned somewhere in a movie a while back. Cracking my brains can't remember what it is. Sounded so cool!

But what was the rational? So it doesn't taste burnt?

#4 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Good senchas brewed the right way taste sweet and fresh -- I cannot stop drinking it.

#5 residentdandy

residentdandy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

I've been hooked on mint ones for a while now.

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

#6 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

There's a new green tea for the office on the market. Daisho it's called. The two incumbents are Uji-no Tsuyo and OSK. The Daisho is very good, soft and silky. It has matcha added in. RM20 for a 50-teabag pack at Cold Storage.

#7 kneok

kneok

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

someone gave me the OSK green tea which I drink in the office. Trying to cut down on my coffee intake and most of the time it works

#8 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Got addicted to matcha green tea whilst in Osaka (freezing weather contributed). Bought some Kyoto/Uji matcha, forgot to buy bamboo whiskers. So tin of matcha sitting in cupboard gathering dust. Having said that, the creamy and earthy texture of good matcha is out of this world!

I still prefer coffee in the office though. Hankering for Malaysian coffee which is difficult to get in Sydney.

#9 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

Here in KL there is a certain market for Japonisms. I just saw a bamboo matcha whisk for sale today at Sunway Pyramid.

#10 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

You might be interested in this site:

www.hibiki-an.com

Whisks for US$16-$24. How much are they asking in KL?

Tea for Two in Sydney sold out of whisks, and they are asking AUD$50 for inferior stuff.,

#11 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Drinking this very cup now...
Posted Image

#12 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

Chai Masala. I love the spice in it!

#13 sturmabeislung

sturmabeislung

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Not a fan of green tea, Boh Cameronian seems fine for me. Perhaps I haven't try a better one.

#14 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

What's with Chinese and green tea.

#15 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Huge fan of Japanese green tea. But I dislike Chinese tea. I keep telling myself a couple of billion Chinamen can't be wrong, but having tasted all sorts of tea Purple Cane sells I've come to completely abandon Chinese tea. Unsatisfactory.

#16 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Posted Image

#17 Fiddler

Fiddler

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have stopped buying tea from brick and mortar shops in Singapore as I consider them to be ridiculously priced...at least the good stuff is.

For top grade Oolong tea I visit http://www.teafromtaiwan.com

Not cheap but excellent products, variety, authenticity and service. Order with confidence.

I also happen to love the more robust and flavourful teas from the Indian subcontinent and have to say all the stuff at Mustafa is rubbish. A friend put me in touch with a tea plantation direct and I have purchased some Assam and Darjeeling varieties that are simply superb. The Assam Golden Tips variety is a bit pricey but the finest I have ever drunk. http://www.jayshreetea.com

#18 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

I have stopped buying tea from brick and mortar shops in Singapore as I consider them to be ridiculously priced...at least the good stuff is.

For top grade Oolong tea I visit http://www.teafromtaiwan.com

Not cheap but excellent products, variety, authenticity and service. Order with confidence.

I also happen to love the more robust and flavourful teas from the Indian subcontinent and have to say all the stuff at Mustafa is rubbish. A friend put me in touch with a tea plantation direct and I have purchased some Assam and Darjeeling varieties that are simply superb. The Assam Golden Tips variety is a bit pricey but the finest I have ever drunk. http://www.jayshreetea.com

Thank you, a huge step forwards in the tea department with your sources. I shall be ordering a sample pack of the Chinese tea for myself.

Here's the teapot I use. Don't laugh at the naif pattern -- it is very endearing. I have no need for the cover since I want my teas to cool down quickly.

Posted Image

#19 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi all, I am more of a tea drinker, not really fond of coffee. I drink my tea without milk as I am lactose intolerant. I am a huge fan of Malaysian tea leaves, my favorite is the "Train" brand of tea leaves, brewed with a french press.

For teh tarik fans, you can check out this link http://ieatishootipo...uch-as-you.html

#20 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users