kotmj

Singaporean members

I just saw that video too.

However, it felt very distasteful. Just an accurate representation of the loud, attention seeking new generation.

Here's to hoping they actually feature some elegant gentlemen with less emphasis on money.

+1

Pierre, I find this very disturbing.

Pay no attention, I was drunk!

Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

Hey guys! I just saw the video and to be honest I didn't realise they were going to put so much emphasis on the prices instead of the work. However, I do think it was more the editing and questions they posed that made it so rather than my client being ostentatious.

By the way, my showroom doors are open for private Kerbau events if desired! No selling, just gathering around some whiskies!

Let me know and I'll be keen to organise something!

Hey guys! I just saw the video and to be honest I didn't realise they were going to put so much emphasis on the prices instead of the work. However, I do think it was more the editing and questions they posed that made it so rather than my client being ostentatious.

By the way, my showroom doors are open for private Kerbau events if desired! No selling, just gathering around some whiskies!

Can we have some red and white wine from France? None of those Jacob's Creek stuff please.

Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

I am sorry if I offend anyone, but the only word that comes to mind after watching that video is an Australian "W" word that rhymes with bankers and tankers.

$2500-$3000 for a jacket???!!!

I'm sticking with P Johnson thanks...

Can we have some red and white wine from France? None of those Jacob's Creek stuff please.

Am more a whiskey man myself but I'm sure I can find something good!

It really is a reflection of the job security of the people who produce TV shows. A good-natured person lets a TV crew into an intimate part of his life, but he ended up being potrayed as a caricature of the spendthrift. Everybody involved looked bad.

The same thing happened to Thomas Mahon when he let a German TV crew do a feature on him. Their translation into German of what he said was meant to create scandal, not serve the truth.

Am more a whiskey man myself but I'm sure I can find something good!

Hahaha what, with that big Mouton Rothschild family tree on your wall??

Folks experienced in shipping items overseas, what is the approximate cost of shipping say a suit to US?

Inputting it into the FedEx/UPS rate quote gave me a mini heart attack.

Hahaha what, with that big Mouton Rothschild family tree on your wall??

Haha, that's on there for aesthetics only! You failed to mention the collection of whiskeys on the shelves below!

It really is a reflection of the job security of the people who produce TV shows. A good-natured person lets a TV crew into an intimate part of his life, but he ended up being potrayed as a caricature of the spendthrift. Everybody involved looked bad. The same thing happened to Thomas Mahon when he let a German TV crew do a feature on him. Their translation into German of what he said was meant to create scandal, not serve the truth.

I couldn't agree more. I had a magazine feature done on us awhile back and one of the quotes totally twisted my words, and in some instances misrepresented me.

I think it's important to note that the video feature was from Razor TV, which is hardly a paragon of journalistic standards. As the subject of a journalistic piece, you've got to educate yourself about your interlocutor. What do you know about the publisher? Can you trust it with your story?

While I agree that journalistic standards in Singapore and Malaysia are generally dismal -- and I include most of the local dailies published by conglomerates like Singapore Press Holdings in this assessment -- I also think that sources are often ill-equipped to deal with even the most fair and even-handed journalistic portraits, in the rare event that occurs.

I think it's important to note that the video feature was from Razor TV, which is hardly a paragon of journalistic standards. As the subject of a journalistic piece, you've got to educate yourself about your interlocutor. What do you know about the publisher? Can you trust it with your story? While I agree that journalistic standards in Singapore and Malaysia are generally dismal -- and I include most of the local dailies published by conglomerates like Singapore Press Holdings in this assessment -- I also think that sources are often ill-equipped to deal with even the most fair and even-handed journalistic portraits, in the rare event that occurs.

I agree with this, but as small makers we need every ounce of publicity, especially when it's free. I do acknowledge that we need to be more selective with granting interviews, but we also have had very good journalists from mediocre publications do very good pieces (our recent coverage on the Chinese paper Lian He Zao Bao being one of these). It makes it difficult to decide when to reject free coverage, if ever.

You get what you pay for.

Now consider the effort and money required to overcome this bad piece of publicity.

Your business is based heavily on trust and reputation. Only deal with people you trust.

Let's face it, you will never beat the marketing budgets of Bally and Prada. So why fight on the same turf?

On the other hand, consider this. No one's going to pay much attention to what Razor TV has to say about fine shoe-making any way, so what's the harm in agreeing to let them film your customer at your store?

I think the attitude businesses might want to adopt is not to get too bothered about what any media outlet has to say -- so long as they do not stray beyond the bounds of verifiable fact, of course. If there is danger of an outlet overstepping the boundaries of fact, then you should consider not co-operating with them. That is no guarantee they won't proceed to write about you anyway, of course, but that's the extent of your control.

You get what you pay for. Now consider the effort and money required to overcome this bad piece of publicity. Your business is based heavily on trust and reputation. Only deal with people you trust. Let's face it, you will never beat the marketing budgets of Bally and Prada. So why fight on the same turf?

Yep, agree once again. We are not competing against the likes of the powerhouses though, just doing our thing and hope people talk about us and spread the word. The odd bad piece of publicity is unavoidable I suppose. Just one bad review on forums can achieve that effect too.

On the other hand, consider this. No one's going to pay much attention to what Razor TV has to say about fine shoe-making any way, so what's the harm in agreeing to let them film your customer at your store? I think the attitude businesses might want to adopt is not to get too bothered about what any media outlet has to say -- so long as they do not stray beyond the bounds of verifiable fact, of course. If there is danger of an outlet overstepping the boundaries of fact, then you should consider not co-operating with them. That is no guarantee they won't proceed to write about you anyway, of course, but that's the extent of your control.

Yep, we live and learn! :)

The retail price of Fedex is too expensive. If you have a business account number it's more reasonable.

Ahh I see. Unfortunately, I don't possess one and I have no experience with shipping items.

Any tips or courier services to recommend? Overseas seem to be able to ship to Singapore at SGD50 or so and I'm surprised that I was quoted 2x more.

I was very surprised to learn that many Singaporeans speak perfect Cantonese. I was under the impression the whole while they spoke only English and Mandarin. Some actually spoke Cantonese preferentially -- closer to the heart, one haberdasher told me.