nickwjd

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I use Regina's at Far East Plaza.

Do you know roughly how much would they charge for the basic services I mentioned above?

I did call Golden Strip Tailor at Excelsior Shopping Centre and they quoted me something like $30 to shorten jacket sleeves. (non-working buttons)

#22 ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Apologies for keeping everyone waiting. I am back and awaiting the arrival of the cloth - will announce when it is here!

Hey G

Welcome back.

I'll be in Singapore from 19 - 28/4 and may likely pop in to visit your cabinet of curiousities... mwahaha!

(Just don't tell the missus how many ties I've bought from you and I should remain in one piece)

#23 gshen

gshen

Smalltimer

• The Chairman
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thanks! We look forward to catching up - and my lips are sealed!

#24 tacit

tacit

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSingapore-

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Actually, while I know that Iris is great for suits, where do you all go to get shirts and work trousers tailored? Shirts in particular actually - CYC seems to be one of the most frequently recommended options over here, but from what I've seen of their work (never got a CYC shirt myself), it doesn't seem to be significantly better than that from some of the Peninsula Tailors (I've used Men's Tradition when I was younger).

Separately, wow does one tell a good shirting fabric anyway? I take it that in general there's less fluffing and piling with use, but is there a way to tell on inspection what a good fabric is?

#25 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm in the midst of a closet revamp and rely mostly on Dylan Chong. I have occasional pieces from Kevin Seah but the price is too rich for me to afford in quantity. What I really like is that I can communicate with both these guys very well, which makes my experience very enjoyable. I find myself constantly looking forward to my next commission or fitting.

My personal approach toward shirting fabric is dependent on a combination of research, feel tests and tailors' advice (ie. rojak method). Tailoring enough shirts ensures a good rotation so I minimize wear/tear. My revamping efforts started only recently so I haven't had a chance to sample many cloths - but of the lot, I enjoy my Soktas shirts the most thus far.

#26 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

- but of the lot, I enjoy my Soktas shirts the most thus far.

Once you try Grandi Rubinelli or even Riva, you'll immediately forget about Soktas...

#27 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I'd love to, but they're a costly affair if I make em at Kevin's. If anyone has experience in obtaining ze good stuff for a CMT job, I'd be much obliged if you could commiserate and share some advice.

#28 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

How much does he charge for Riva or Grandi Rubinelli?

And my title below says it all :)

#29 residentdandy

residentdandy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'd love to, but they're a costly affair if I make em at Kevin's. If anyone has experience in obtaining ze good stuff for a CMT job, I'd be much obliged if you could commiserate and share some advice.

I think amateursarto's selling G&R or something. Check the posts in the Shirts topic.

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

#30 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks, gents. Much appreciated. Off to devour the shirting thread it is - be back shortly with more qns, no doubt.

Terror - Can't tell from Robin Hood, but I remember Cloth Robber Baron which seemed much more apt!

#31 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

It's something similiar which I have no control of :P send me a PM and I will enlighten you

#32 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

You rob the rich but you do make the poor poorer

#33 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Cash poor but asset rich.

#34 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hahahaha. its all lies, I'm tellin you.

#35 gshen

gshen

Smalltimer

• The Chairman
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

FYI - Jeeves now has a few outlets in Singapore: http://www.jeevessingapore.com/

I have used Presto (i send my stuff to the Paragon branch, but they have many outlets) so far and all has been good - even lapels have not been pressed flat. Good to have options though.

#36 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

I don't know about Jeeves in Singapore but it just so happen that I sent mine to Jeeves in Malaysia (BSC). Great job with removing stains and what-not but they did not follow my instructions not to press the lapels :-/ Rather annoyed about it.

But who knows, may be you will have better luck in Singapore!

#37 Simon4rings

Simon4rings

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hi guys. I'm late to the party. Actually stumbled into Kerbau by accident while googling.

#38 Mr.J

Mr.J

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

welcome simon.

#39 gshen

gshen

Smalltimer

• The Chairman
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Together with our friends from The J. Myers Company and Ed Et Al, we (Vanda Fine Clothing) will be showcasing our wares (and skills) on 26 May at Carrie K's atelier along Bukit Timah Road.

If you'd like to pop by and join us for an afternoon of good fun and free ice cream, please RSVP with us by email. Our friends across the causeway are more than welcome!

Posted Image

#40 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Why do we Malaysians don't have this kind of things :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users