kotmj

Budget tailoring

I'm hoping that this will be a learning process thus i haven't put any expectation. Furthermore, my only source of sartorial education is solely from this forum. I've yet to learn on how to value/evaluate most of the things that are discussed in this forum. Any comments from you guys will be highly appreciated.

395769_10150555028835172_1248167368_n.jpg

As I was walking around yesterday I saw a beautiful display piece. The shop was closed, but I asked around and called the number on the door. The guy told me he's currently attending a fitting at TTDI but he got the shop-owner next door to open up the shop for me and i inspected the suits. High armholes, all suits had working cuffs, horn buttons, lapels to my taste and the open quarters. Finishing looked topnotch. Turns out the shop owner next door was also a tailor over 10 years in experience (dunno how i overlooked his shop) and we then went to his shop and had a nice chat in general. he also told me (without me even asking) that he does fully hand-canvassed suits too. I then asked him what it was (as i never really understood when the guys on LYN and here discussed about it) and was given a nice education on the suits.

He then laments that no one asks for one anymore, except for only one of his earliest clients (and after that, his son who followed his dad making suits there). I kinda peeked at his invoice and saw that he charged that client 7k for the full canvassed suit =__= but thats probably for the cloth as well. beats me.

I'll probably set up a meeting with the other guy to discuss suits in general to see how much he charges, shouldn't be a lot as he's quite young.

I think i may have made a huge mistake when i inadvertently showed my hand. when I told the other guy how much my budget was, he suddenly said his cheapest suit (fused) was roughly thereabouts. im going to see if i can get the younger dude to go easy on me

Just did my fitting..couldn't blame the tailor as the fabric is not up to kerbau standards. :) The tailor didn't even make the trousers yet.

Appreciate all ya' comments...fire away guys.

32249843.th.jpg

67096562.th.jpg

68816821.th.jpg

I've highlighted this to the tailor but he insisted that the shoulder pads are ok. :(

Do you think the lenght of the arms is too short?

p/s: i only get to do 1 fitting session.

The shoulders look very built up. If this is not the look you're after, you need to drill it into the tailor.

Right sleeve needs to be lengthened to match the left sleeve, if this is the amount of shirt you like to show (some prefer more, but I think it looks okay).

Personally I'd also go with a little more waist suppression. Although this might cause more problems than its worth to do it at this point. Overall the jacket sits quite cleanly. Maybe the next iteration will be better. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if the jacket is looking boxy because of a lack of waist suppression or because the shoulders are too built up (or do your shoulders look like that naturally?). Based on what "6" has said I'd go for re-doing the shoulders. Hmm.

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

Certainly better than average. There is a tremendous deal of lumbar curve, too much I think. Shoulders are of the sort that does not rely on the human shoulder for part of its shape, its provided for by the big pads. The big pads (big, not just thick) decouples the jacket shoulder from the human shoulder.

No self respecting tailor would use that model (tien untied crap) to sell their product, IMO.

But seriously at 800 ringgit, you are about

half way towards a full canvass suit made in a good cloth by a proven tailor from this forum. Question is, why even risk it on a gamble that their product might be passable? If you are on this forum, you obviously care about what goes into a fine garment more than the average joe.

They don't even bother throwing in vacuous marketing terms like "handmade" or "italian/european fabric". They instead choose to remind you of the various upcharges which will apply.

I'd stay clear if it were me, but thats just me.

Re my comments above: it would be different if you can check out their wares first hand before committing to the deal.

Admitedly, identifying a target demographic and marketing might not be the strong suit of an old local tailor.