kotmj

Budget tailoring

Just checked with my local neighborhood tailor in Tmn Megah for FC he charges for workmanship 1.2k. I've been using him for mostly alterations and daily working pants. Honestly i dont know whether he can execute a good FC. His pants come out pretty alright possibly the workmanship is lower than AL's but very marginal.

Interestingly though, he was saying most of the branded cloth ie Dormeuil, Scabal and Thomas Mason he gets it at a very high price. He doesnt stock any of this because his clientele do not require it so when he buys it at small lengths it becomes extremely expensive. I'm not sure whether that his smoke screen to the margin he gets, or that the market is really controlled by the distributors.

Guest Guest

Hi guys,

I'm a first time poster on this forum and was lead here by a few Google searches (not that hard to find forums comprised of Malaysian suit connoisseurs).

I'm looking to make a couple of suits for my upcoming wedding and have been wracking my brains on how to keep costs low yet procure a decent suit.

I've considered going to Ah Loke but the cost of a couple of half canvassed suits would surely go north of RM3k (IINM).

To cut to the chase, I'd like to seek everyone's opinion here on a couple of things:

1. Fabric

Wool of course. But is a full worsted wool suit advisable for our climate? Should I consider a wool blend with something other fabric? If so, what fabrics are acceptable for this hot and humid weather of ours? Not polyester I gather.

2. Mohan Executives Custom Tailor

Has anyone heard of this guy? http://mohantailor.blogspot.com/

He quoted me RM1100 for a half canvassed three piece suit of wool and terylene fabric. Is this a good deal or should I just fork out the extra cash for Ah Loke's tailoring?

My thanks in advance!

I did a full canvass suit with AL and it only cost me RM2300....never skimp on cloth...it will make or break ur suit...

Why do you a few suits for your wedding?Get 1 very nice one.At least that would be my preference.

Guest Nitheon

Thanks for the quick reply, Terrorsquad.

I figured I need one for the wedding dinner (navy, pinstriped, three piece) and a dark gray two piece, two button number for wedding photography & daytime events.

What fabric would you recommend? I assume you acquired it yourself and asked AL to make the suit?

I understand a full worsted wool suit isn't recommended for our inhospitable weather, but if so, what's a suitable alternative?

For RM3400,you will get 2 very good half canvassed suits.And yes,I got the cloth myself.

Wool is recommended but only in a plain weave.A fresco would be ideal but the texture is not recommended for such a formal event.

Check out the Bazaar,I sell suiting cloth.

I guess some would like a different suit for the church reception and dinner. Do take TS advice on cloth, he is the resident expert on that. My experience with tailor that do Club jackets, they are quite the factory mill. So i dont know mohan would be able to execute unless you've worked with him before.

I assume you acquired it yourself and asked AL to make the suit?

Even AL's execution is hit and miss not that i have a lot of experience with him. But he is value for money.

Guest Nitheon

So, a suit of 100% plain weave wool is your recommendation?

Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it. Sorry I'm a little unfamiliar with the terms and references here. How do I access this Bazaar of yours?

Thanks Zinzan, great point there.

Guest Nitheon

Hi Kotmj,

I would very much like to know what you think of his services! A PM if you're more comfortable.

Unless you just mean his blog, which is of course more of a boon than a bane.

Hey guys, I've decided to go with a tailor in one of those shopping centres far past their glory days for my home-launderable unlined linen sportscoat (or, more accurately, shacket). Sorted out the details this morning and handed over the fabric.They're charging me RM400 CMT. Fitting is scheduled to be on Wednesday. Will keep you guys updated hopefully with pics.

Hey guys, I've decided to go with a tailor in one of those shopping centres far past their glory days for my home-launderable unlined linen sportscoat (or, more accurately, shacket). Sorted out the details this morning and handed over the fabric.They're charging me RM400 CMT. Fitting is scheduled to be on Wednesday. Will keep you guys updated hopefully with pics.

Looking forward.

Unfortunately, tailor called and cancelled the fitting. Fitting will have to be rescheduled for when I return to KL which is in 2 months time. Really sorry guys, pics and report will have to be postponed till then unfortunately.

That's unfortunate - two months wait! Either way, mind sharing more details regarding the tailor? You can PM me if you're more comfortable with doing so.

Haha, sure, no probs, Zarium. This guy I was talking about is Allen Khoo Tailors in Ampang Park (Mr. Khoo doesn't do actual actual cutting, if I'm not wrong - he has two cutters handling the customers).

I went with them because there was no Kerbau-approved tailor doing a fully unlined jacket (Ah Loke only does quarter-lined if I'm not wrong). So what I was left with was tailors at the high-end of the Malaysian tailoring market - Sartorial in Bangsar, the two tailors in KLCC, all of which charged about RM900 CMT- and Allen Khoo. Everybody else simply refused to make a soft-construction jacket without lining. Only Sartorial had working examples of an unlined jacket for me to look at. The guys at Allen Khoo did not seem to have any experience or similar examples of their work. But I decided to go with Allen Khoo anyway because it'd be good to see whether they could match the know-how of Sartorial at a cheaper price. After all, they acquiesced with my requests for higher armholes - something very few Malaysian tailors will do without putting up a fight.

Hi all,

I'm new here (relatively) after spending the weekend reading through whatever I could on these forums. Of course, I couldn't understand much of the jargon (even those on the newbie thread lol).

In any case, I'm looking to have a suit tailored for my wedding in July. I know most on these forums recommend Ah Loke, but I'm told the waiting time is 3 months, and unfortunately I do not have that luxury now.

Could anyone recommend someone else who can do good tailoring that doesn't take 3 months? Also I would appreciate any pointers you could give on what to insist on to make it a perfect fit. I'd like my suit to be something suitably modern and can be used at other events/work after the wedding.

P:S I'm a diligent guy so I'm willing to read up on any newbie threads/postings if directed to. I'm not here for a free handout, just been really searching for a good tailor for awhile and come up with squat. This is the first real forum I've found where people actively discuss this topic.

Thanks in advance.

It takes 3 months if you want to have a fully canvassed suit. A half canvassed suit will take 1 month and a fused one even faster, maybe 2 weeks.

there is no such thing as a perfect 1st suit. The reason being that you will always want to add or amend something to it for your future commissions.

But for it to be good, do not skimp on the cloth. Cheap cloth will make a world class tailored suit look cheap. And regardless of its construction, for it to be a good suit, it needs to fit you. And by fit I do not mean it to be bone crunching tight.

And just to add, please dont wear black. I know your bachelorhood will end but lets not make it too obvious to everyone attending that your mourning that fact. I always recommend to all my clients a charcoal or a mid grey. They make you stand out in a good way.

I don't think the ALT lead time is that long..? For a half canvassed suit he should be able to get it done within 1 or 2 weeks, unless his business has improved leaps and bounds thanks to this and LYN forums.

Give him a call to confirm - 0326924206.