terrorsquad

Collateralised debt a.k.a. The Cloth Thread

Although they do not entertain CMT, I think Hwa Seng can make concave shoulders with roped sleeveheads. Not sure about anyone else. 

From HST's FB,

ScLs6oS.jpg

9clPBRr.jpg

HST really, really doesn't understand marketing. They have no nose for it. In the distant past, I wrote about rice wholesalers. It applies to them.

A cloth supplier just called asking for an appointment tomorrow. He mentioned the very premium brand he carries, so I asked him if he's from the local distributor. He said no, he's from a different country. But this is tantamount to an enroachment of sales territory. Anyway, he's coming tomorrow. We shall see.

Just met said cloth distributor. Wow, I got mad at him. You know, I have this personality flaw whereby I get mad when touched by stupidity. I have this violent allergic reaction to stupidity.

He's from Hong Kong, ethnic Indian, and is here to distribute Zegna cloths. But there is already an established Zegna distributor in KL. You're not supposed to do this. Stay within your own sales territory.

Second, he showed me a Zegna book called "fancy suitings". He is offering it to me by the suiting length to keep stock at RM750/m. In other words, I have to buy first, then see if a customer likes it enough to go for a suit in it.

I touched the cloth. I touched and I touched and I felt and I sniffed. It felt like VBC Super 110's. In fact, it felt exactly like VBC Super 110's. I have been making suits and odd trousers in VBC Super 110's since my first day of tailoring. I know the stuff like I know white rice.

I happened to have a jacket in Zegna Trofeo hanging in the shop so I showed it to him. At RM750/m, I expect at least this quality, not VBC Super 110's quality, I told him.

Booted that idiot out of the shop. He's practically a crook.

I don't know. I have no evidence. I can say for sure he's idiotic, but whether he's also fundamentally dishonest and misrepresented his goods is a different story.

IMG_20170713_154734.jpg?raw=1

^Said idiot. Best nobody buys from him. He told me he has sold 22 suiting lengths in two weeks.

Alas, he came to see JT.

He noticed relatively quickly I was getting incredulous and angry. When I had calmed down a little, he asked what I thought of the Zegna brand. I said I have high regards for the brand, but what he's offering to me is extremely poor value, I told him. I showed him Scabal Eton Super 130's for an idea of what I expected of an ultra premium Super 130's. I showed him H&S Dragonfly Supreme 160's to show hm how a luxe feel is actually like.

Basically, he was expecting me to buy because it was labelled Zegna. The unique selling proposition? It's Zegna! Aahaha, he came to the wrong place. What a disaster for him.

The local Zegna distributor is probably reading this now and setting up a sting operation.

I'm picturing an enforcer posing as a tailor, wearing a recording device.

A couple days ago the HK Zegna trader called again. He sounded quite agitated. "I want to come to your shop again!" I said, let me call you back. Then I blocked his number.

By a long shot, if anyone is thinking about letting go of your length of "dieworkwear summer tweed". Please drop me a pm!

bsG3nAy.jpg

image credits to stylejournaldaily

DSC09240.jpg?raw=1

Just now, I went to meet with David Gallimore, managing director of Luxury Fabrics which owns the brands William Halstead, Charles Clayton and etc. He is on an Asian tour, starting early this month with the major Chinese cities. He just arrived from the airport. In KL for about 24 hours, he plans to meet with Lord's and Jeremy Tok. Then he's off to meet with Dylan in Singapore. He's accompanied by his Singapore-based distributor, who is a founding member of the Advani clan of Singapore-based cloth wholesalers.

DSC09229.jpg?raw=1

It's a fairly typical sales call. I was offered quite a number of bunches to pick from. Luxury Fabrics is retiring all its brands like William Halstead and etc. It will offer all cloths under the Standeven brand from henceforth.

I think I asked to be sent 6 bunches, including one which is pure Escorial.

Now that I've reached home, I can write a bit more.

Luxury Fabrics has six production facilities in the UK and manufactures for many of the well-known brands.

The most remarkable thing from today's meeting was a very special bunch of pure Escorial. First of all, Escorial is pretty uncommon. It feels like cashmere, but without the durability drawbacks. For this special bunch, they painstakingly isolated individual Escorial fibers of specific natural shades. These similar-coloured fibers are then spun into yarns which are then woven together with yarns of other shades into cloth. In other words, these Escorial cloths contain no dye. The color you see is the natural colour of the fiber. Escorial sheep has wool which is mostly white, but there are individual fibers which are not white -- they are beige, brown, grey or black. These coloured hairs are picked out from amongst the mostly white hairs. They managed to weave Prince-of-Wales checks like this. The shades are mostly earthen, but there was one which is a very neutral grey. It bowled me over.

I traded some industry gossip with the SG distributor. So interesting for me. Was told that Dylan had recently employed a Korean tailor. Was shocked to be told that Prestigious Tailor at Clark's Quay has a financial backer and that Thomas Wong is not the majority owner.

What is your view then on having and in house full time tailor compared to the model you have now?

Since your business can surely support having one. 

Top 2 tailoring outfits in MY: JT and a small startup called Lords.

I hope you brought he finds time for a traditional Malaysian meal of Teh Tarik and Nasi Lemak

What is your view then on having and in house full time tailor compared to the model you have now?

Since your business can surely support having one.

"I choose to work with every single person I work with. That ends up being the most important factor. I don't interact with people I don't like or admire. That's the key." --- Warren Buffet

Backroom tailors are the sorriest bunch of people I've met in my life. They are dumb, they are vain, they have a pronounced victim mentality, and they see the worst in people. Have one of these in the shop next to me? You must be joking.

DSC09549-Edit.jpg?raw=1

Kilos of cloth. And bunches.

DSC09551-Edit.jpg?raw=1

Like press conference after a serbuan polis where they discover shabu shabu

DSC09552-Edit.jpg?raw=1

The highlight is the Escorial. I spent the last 15 minutes just gasping at the incredible feel of the cloth. Magnificent.

• Like 1

By a long shot, if anyone is thinking about letting go of your length of "dieworkwear summer tweed". Please drop me a pm!

bsG3nAy.jpg

image credits to stylejournaldaily

I have 2m. 

Happy to let it for for RM1,250 - postage included.