terrorsquad

Collateralised debt a.k.a. The Cloth Thread

I really drilled into Larry, the Huberross salesman, why the entire visual presentation of Huberross is so Ah Pek/Ah Beng/Chinaman. He asked me what I mean. I said, don't you see that the design of Huberross books, labels and basically everything Huberross is so Singaporean compared to, say Soktas or H&S which have such Western sleek graphic designs? He was offended. It was also clearly the first time someone said something like this to him. He stopped smiling at me after that.

Over a rather long conversation, it came to light that Huberross is primarily a contract manufacturer of fabrics to RTW brands, including for the likes of Louis Vuitton. A Singaporean entrepreneur (Larry's boss)---I forgot his name---approached Huberross about a distributorship. But since Huberross wasn't really in the cut length "stock supported" tailor business, the Singaporean businessman had to commission and stock production lots comparable in volume to RTW orders. All marketing and distribution was his problem. Huberross allowed him to use their brand for the global cut length business.

So when you see Huberross in a tailor shop, you're really seeing Singaporean marketing with a bona fide Italian-made product. For the Nevada bunch, I find the quality very convincing. Actually, it's very premium. 

DSC00447.jpg?raw=1

I told the Draper's distributor I have no interest in having their bunches. Why? he wanted to know. I said I have so many books from so many brands. I have no space in my cupboard for more. That was maybe two years ago.

A couple days ago, the distributor came to pass me these three Drapers bunches. She said, these are meant for you. I said I don't have to have them. No, she said, these are for you. I capitulated.

DSC00448.jpg?raw=1

DSC02985.jpg?raw=1

One of the part timers taking pictures of the bunch books. He has many books to digitize! In fact, he has to do every book below.

DSC02986.jpg?raw=1

I think I should write a guide to cloths. I'll write a few words about every cloth bunch I think I can say something about and how it compares to its peers from other brands. It'll end up being a very long piece of text.

52 minutes ago, kotmj said:

I think I should write a guide to cloths. I'll write a few words about every cloth bunch I think I can say something about and how it compares to its peers from other brands. It'll end up being a very long piece of text.

Its gonna be the first of its kind.

I'm surprised Crompton hasn't done it first. But then he doesn't convert kilos upon kilos of cloth each week into clothes. Basically, it can only be written by a tailor. Or, a very prolific consumer of tailored clothes.

You might be surprised to know several tailors are not as discerning about cloth fabrics as one might think. I also know a few who are fairly ‘colorblind’ with regards to shades and undertones.