113 replies to this topic

#1 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Inspired by the SF thread (fine, ripped off wholesale) which is particularly interesting now since impolyt_one is debating getting his Ferrari in Tokyo there, I decided to start one here.

Here's mine: 2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 Benzina Turbo. Six-speed manual. Black with red leather. Good chance the hide is by Poltrona Frau, although mine lacks the stamp. The leather is amazingly dyed, with a vibrant and deep colour. Really good quality stuff. Possibly the best thing about owning an Alfa.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 uturn

uturn

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

You guys gets to get the best cars... :(

#3 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

I would show mine if it wasn't a Jap econobox.

I find the Mito the best designed small car. Better than Mini.

#4 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yup, the Mito is better in almost every way than the Cooper S. except handling and raw power. And the mito's stock blaupunkt is horrible.

(null)

#5 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

My previous car was the Mazda 2. Great chassis and steerin feel. Would love one with a supercharger. 98bhp just isn't enough. I also really like its cousin, the Ford Fiesta. And the New Swift Sport looks very nice too.

(null)

#6 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

The three best designs for small cars are the Bravo, the Swift and the Mito. Don't like the new Punto, but the previous one really shows the genius of the designer. It just doesn't age.

#7 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

The Bravo and Mito are really quite similar. Same platform after all. You can really see it in the rear. I'm a small car fiend. I really like the Fiesta, actually.

#8 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

The Fiesta is designed like a Reebok or Nike.

Didn't know the Bravo and Mito share the same chassis.

Oh, everything by Toyota sucks.

#9 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Haha! Reebok or Nike. I see what you mean, now that you put it like that.

I also really like the Nissan Juke. What a weird shape. But it somehow works.

Yes, Toyota is rather unfortunate.

#10 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hi Joonian,

How's the Alfa performing in day to day situation? Any problems/ issues regarding the car? I have always been interested in Alfas but the problems with older ones (almost bought a 147 GTA years ago) is making me think twice.

Thanks in advance.

#11 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

The new Alfas are bulletproof. Zero problems since I got mine, which was a 10-month-old used unit. I must thank the original owner (a hardcore Maser and Ferrari guy) for his good taste in specifying the unit.

The engine is the same inline-four lump as the Bravo. It's not the newer Multiair engine, which is even better. Nevertheless, the power band is very flexible, no turbo lag, and very frugal. I get about 12km/l in city driving and up to 15km/l on highway. And I'm not a particularly frugal driver.

Electronics have been completely fine. No weird alerts of any kind. Cabin is very well screwed together. Nothing coming loose or rattling about.

In fact, my friends with VAG cars (Audi A4, Scirocco 2 litre, Scirocco 1.4) have had more major problems with their supposedly precision engineered German vehicles than me with my car made by flaky Italians. So make of that what you will.

#12 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

The spot for the Bravo. Best advertisement soundtrack.

#13 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Joonian for your reply. I assume you are not in Malaysia. But here I've seen some Alfa 159 going for pretty much the same price as a Mini Cooper S (2007ish or so imported from the UK). And they have just launched the Giuletta here as well and its going for 180k. So there might be more options for Alfas here soon.

Another option of course would be the Fiat 500 as Naza has a couple of the Arbarth edition.

#14 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Beaver - I am from KL, but I spend quite a bit of time in Singapore too. The 159 is a great car, but it's in a very different class from the Cooper S. I guess it really depends what you're after. The Giulietta is a very very good car -- some say the best Alfa Fiat has ever made. Excellent steering feel and handling, frugal but powerful engine, flexible power band and torque curve. And the interior is typical Alfa. Full of visual flair and quality where it matters. The Giulietta uses the new 1.4 MultiAir petrol engine making 170bhp. A very decent amount of power. Of course, the 1.75l MultiAir is even better, but I don't think Sime is bringing those in (although I don't see why not).

The Abarth 500s that Naza has are exorbitantly priced, I was told. Nice if you can afford an interesting toy, though.

#15 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Just checked on Naza's website RM 130k for the Abarth. That's mad for a small size car

#16 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Oh. I thought it was more than that, actually. At 130k it's actually not that bad!

#17 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

First of all, gotta love the Kerbau's mobile layout.

The Fiat 500 Abarth was initially priced at 230k, and went all the way down from there.

#18 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

Seriously, at 130k, it's worth considering...

#19 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Tyical Naza, price them high so that nobody can afford them, when tak laku drop the price.

#20 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Joon, the Italians do make beautiful cars, no doubt about it. Typical stereotype of their reliability is quite legendary and somewhat true. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the Alfa especially the 147, engine crack radiator leaking and etc. I just think you minimise the probability of that happening when you go German or Japanese. Just my 2 cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users