Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Cars we drive

Maybe in another 12 months. We'll see just how well these new Alfa's hold up. Good thing about them is that they seem to depreciate fairly quickly due to the market's perception of their reliability (not so good for the original owner).

I bought mine used. Have a look at Alfaowner.co.uk to get a feel for the issues. You may have issues with the TCT, I'm not sure, but I always get manual shifters, so that reduces the risk by a large amount. The engines are generally rock solid.

On the other hand the Mazda 3 MPS is alright too. Maybe swap out some of the aero parts for the regular 3's parts to reduce the vulgarness.

The only cars that don't depreciate badly is Benz and Honda. At one point of time was contemplating Saab 9-3 aero, but the goddamn was worth nothing second hand.

Didn't Pininfarina's son die of a scooter accident a few years back? I admire Giugiaro a great deal, he managed to remain very relevant across so many decades when car design underwent such enormous changes.

Here's that vid again, I've posted this many times (incredible suit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYugHu7_D4U

Such an extravagant development. I've watched that building go up. I would love to buy a unit just to park my modified Kancil in there.

Do not know where to put this:

http://smh.drive.com...0827-24vjp.html

Any similar offerings in KL?

How does this work?

What if 10 people want to go out at the same time? or come back at the same time?

Hmmm, they probably have a valet to this for you if you are going to pay so much to live there and buy a car that is presentable inside a glass lift for all to see.

Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

Just wondering about this. What interesting small cars, used or new, are out there for someone on a budget of, say 100k and below?

My list so far:

Alfa 147 - gotta be a manual 'box, preferably from an involved owner. Tough to find. Should be RM40-50k.

Fiat Coupe - They're all manuals, but it's gotta be from a good owner too. ~60k for a good example.

But both of these will come with regular maintenance and replacement bills, not to mention servicing and waiting times for parts, and the occasional heart attack when they don't work as they should be.

I suppose on the newer front there is:

mk5 Polo GTI - I think ~85k

Mazda 2 - But Malaysia never got the manual version, I think.

previous gen Swift Sport

Any other candidates? Coupes, convertibles, hatchbacks, soft-roaders, are all fair game. I'm interested in something that's not common and preferably with abit of oomph. And also preferably with a manual box, especially if used.

Your choices are quite problematic if u get it wrong. Swift is the most sensible but I think that platform has been around for 10 years. My vote would be for polo

Swift platform is indeed old and the cabin is pretty spartan. But at least it's fun to drive and reliable. But it's got that ah beng vibe lah.

Boys: Mini is more than 100k, and the used examples with smaller price tags are going to cost a fortune to maintain. They are nice cars, but in my opinion, their value doesn't justify the price premium.

For less than RM100k, I think you can also include e36 coupes (am not sure about the maintenance) as well as Ford Fiesta (i don't think they have the manual variant here tho).

If you up it to the RM120k range, you can find 2 to 3 year old Alfa 159s, as well as MK-V Golf Gtis.

If you up it to the RM120k range, you can find 2 to 3 year old Alfa 159s, as well as MK-V Golf Gtis.

If you are in that range you can get a mini too. I was told a couple of days ago Subaru Impreza goin for 80k nowadays.