Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Cars we drive

Yeah, my friend bought the entry level, basic model, brand new for about 150k, so i think you'd be able to get 2nd hand below 100k. Maintenance is an issue though. I've got friends who dont have any problems with the car and ive got friends their car is always in the workshop. A bit of a lottery with the mini.

That's the Mini Cooper right, not the Mini Cooper S? I always think of the Cooper S by default because I really don't see the point in the Mini Cooper in KL/Malaysia.

I wish more small hot hatches would be available in Malaysia. The Fiesta ST would be perfect. Or even more Alfa Mitos, Citroen DS3, Renault Clio RS

I think he might be referring to the cooper s. I remember a family member sold his 2004 cooper s late last year for around 90.

@beaver oic. 2004 eh, that's getting on 10 years old now.

@boys: it's kind of a slow car without the supercharger. You've got the same low driving position and firm suspension, which are not necessarily advantages in everyday KL traffic, especially when there isn't the additional power and speed to make up for (or exploit) them. Distances covered in KL can be quite long as well, so I prefer a more powerful car to a less powerful one. This is underlined when you're paying a premium for something like a Mini.

Well, since duties for cars from Japan are being dropped now, I guess we can all look forward to more interesting Japanese cars! I personally would be very happy to be able to afford an MX-5, CX-5 or Maxda 3 MPS :)

Interesting perspective. I do agree that it's sucky to pay a huge premium for a Mini when in reality it isn't that much better than many other cars that are cheaply priced. I agree that the Mini is over-priced (In SG) for its parts. I don't have friends who drive the Mini in SG, but I do have two friends who drive the Mini John Cooper Works and S and they've commented that it's a good and fast car because it's a small car that is powered by a 1.6 CC engine. On the Toyota Corolla, for instance, the larger sized car typically comes in the 1.3 cc and 1.5 cc engines, despite being larger.

Just gonna toss the other view out in the open (might or might not be true):

The other view from a different vantage point about the traffic conditions, that I've more commonly heard is: In SG, there are traffic lights at almost every junction, and the roads are so crowded at jammed at peak periods so much so that a car with a fast engine is functionally useless so even if the car can go from 1 to 100 MPH in 6 seconds, you'll have to stop at the next traffic light.

Maybe roads in KL/M/ysia are sufficiently different!

I do have a dream car, however, and it's not a Ferrari or Lamborghini. LOL.

Oh yeah, huge difference in driving conditions in KL and Singapore. Drives of 45-60 minutes in KL (with moderate traffic) are pretty common. Such durations would be considered extreme in Singapore. Also, KL roads are way more interesting to drive on. Changes in elevation, six lane toll-highways with sweeping turns and views across the valley, and of course, loads of destinations and driving roads outside KL.

The reason why the Mini Cooper S has more power is simply because it has a supercharger under the hood. Japanese makers don't like forced induction systems (I'm not sure why), but forced induction is what most European marques have been relying on for the last decade or so to increase power and reduce emissions.

I would probably agree with your view that a very powerful car is useless in Singapore. But something like a Mini Cooper S isn't really in that category. You'll still be exploiting a great deal of its power even in Singapore road conditions. A 6-litre SLS AMG probably is, though, and I've seen more than a few of those pottering around Singapore, not to mention your Ferraris, 911s, and so on.

I absolutely detest driving to, from or in KL. The city is such a clusterfuck. My god.

Melbourne, on the other hand, was nice to drive in.

• Like 1

Dude, try driving in Singapore. So incredibly boring. Maybe the only halfway decent stretch was ECP-Keppel Rd-Havelock Rd-Mt Faber. Melbourne is nice but they're real Nazis about speed limits, aren't they? A pal rented a nice car and drove there, only to find several speeding fines mailed to him in Singapore!

I find driving in the Klang Valley infinitely more engaging than Melbourne, and enjoy all of it, except for the deadlock traffic during peak hours.

You switch off your brain when driving in Melbourne.

• Like 3

I find driving in the Klang Valley infinitely more engaging than Melbourne, and enjoy all of it, except for the deadlock traffic during peak hours.

That and the pot holes.

The pot holes are seriously not that bad, considering the amount of road, traffic and weather conditions. Honestly the worst potholes I've experienced were in Manhattan. Truly massive and wheel-destroying.

Good point there Joon. I was driving San Francisco and i thought the roads were far worse than here. I was kind of shocked to see the state of their highways. That was at the peak of GFC.

You switch off your brain when driving in Melbourne.

I had to get used to the hook turns in Melbourne! I was shocked to see a car on the leftmost lane suddenly swing right.

I drove in the States and went onto the highways and drove between states and for the most part, there's nothing interesting to see since they were long stretches of seemingly endless roads. It was only when I was driving from LV to Yosemite that it became a little more interesting. There were other more scenic routes, but they almost invariably increased the travel time by at least an hour. Being slapped with fines when you speed in the States isn't a trivial joke either, and they can amount to quite a huge sum. Though I had a friend who was pulled-over and innocently offered the cop potato chips. The cop took it, and gave him a warning.

In the States, the pot-holes sucked, but imho, the worst is getting used to driving in the snow. Damn it, the brakes don't work.

Well, since this is the small cars thread -- My dream small car is the Mini Cooper -- It's a nice looking car. But given the price, I'd almost certainly top up and buy anothe car.

There is a dream car, but it's not small.

Yes... Love the new A Class. Checked one out in detail at the Mercedes gallery in Berlin and I've seen several on the streets in London. What a beauty. By all accounts, it drives well too.

My dream car is the next-gen Alfa Romeo Spider... roll on 2015!

I'm going to make an offbeat suggestion in the small-but-cool car stakes: The Suzuki SX4. You get the finest (well, one of the finest) Italian design thinking from Giugiaro's Italdesign studio with bombproof Suzuki engines and running gear. In my opinion, the SX4 (and I only mean the softroader version, not the horrible sedan) front 3/4 view is one of the handsomest profiles among softroaders, econo-boxes or not. In terms of looks, it's really only let down by the utilitarian cabin. A few choice pieces of bodykit (and a twin-exhaust) can really elevate the SX4's look. The other major letdown is the SX4 packaging for the Malaysia market -- we don't get to choose the transmission, so we're stuck with a stone-age four-speed auto whereas other markets, even India, get the five speed manual, and several other nice options besides.

suzuki-sx4-awd.jpg

Did not realize kerbau had a cars thread.

In KL I drive a 1991 BMW E30 318i. 22 years old and still a joy to drive. :D

In Singapore, I take buses, trains and taxis. :-/

Joon, have you considered Honda Jazz or the hybrid model? I know Jazz is a bit jaded but it is a Honda it doesnt appreciate as bad as other cars. Or you really into the Italian cars?