113 replies to this topic

#41 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Such an extravagant development. I've watched that building go up. I would love to buy a unit just to park my modified Kancil in there.

#42 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

#43 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Do not know where to put this:

http://smh.drive.com...0827-24vjp.html

Any similar offerings in KL?

How does this work?
What if 10 people want to go out at the same time? or come back at the same time?
Hmmm, they probably have a valet to this for you if you are going to pay so much to live there and buy a car that is presentable inside a glass lift for all to see.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

#44 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

The number of years before KL has something similar is the developmental gap between SIN and KUL.

#45 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just wondering about this. What interesting small cars, used or new, are out there for someone on a budget of, say 100k and below?

My list so far:
Alfa 147 - gotta be a manual 'box, preferably from an involved owner. Tough to find. Should be RM40-50k.
Fiat Coupe - They're all manuals, but it's gotta be from a good owner too. ~60k for a good example.

But both of these will come with regular maintenance and replacement bills, not to mention servicing and waiting times for parts, and the occasional heart attack when they don't work as they should be.

I suppose on the newer front there is:
mk5 Polo GTI - I think ~85k
Mazda 2 - But Malaysia never got the manual version, I think.
previous gen Swift Sport

Any other candidates? Coupes, convertibles, hatchbacks, soft-roaders, are all fair game. I'm interested in something that's not common and preferably with abit of oomph. And also preferably with a manual box, especially if used.

#46 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Your choices are quite problematic if u get it wrong. Swift is the most sensible but I think that platform has been around for 10 years. My vote would be for polo

#47 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Mini isn't good?

#48 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Swift platform is indeed old and the cabin is pretty spartan. But at least it's fun to drive and reliable. But it's got that ah beng vibe lah.

Boys: Mini is more than 100k, and the used examples with smaller price tags are going to cost a fortune to maintain. They are nice cars, but in my opinion, their value doesn't justify the price premium.

#49 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

For less than RM100k, I think you can also include e36 coupes (am not sure about the maintenance) as well as Ford Fiesta (i don't think they have the manual variant here tho).

If you up it to the RM120k range, you can find 2 to 3 year old Alfa 159s, as well as MK-V Golf Gtis.

#50 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

If you up it to the RM120k range, you can find 2 to 3 year old Alfa 159s, as well as MK-V Golf Gtis.

If you are in that range you can get a mini too. I was told a couple of days ago Subaru Impreza goin for 80k nowadays.

#51 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

@ Zinzan, yeah. I think some of the manual mini cooper s are going for below RM100k as well, the supercharged ones.

#52 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, my friend bought the entry level, basic model, brand new for about 150k, so i think you'd be able to get 2nd hand below 100k. Maintenance is an issue though. I've got friends who dont have any problems with the car and ive got friends their car is always in the workshop. A bit of a lottery with the mini.

#53 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

2nd hand ini Mini's are around RM80K; a friend just bought it several days ago.

#54 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

That's the Mini Cooper right, not the Mini Cooper S? I always think of the Cooper S by default because I really don't see the point in the Mini Cooper in KL/Malaysia.

I wish more small hot hatches would be available in Malaysia. The Fiesta ST would be perfect. Or even more Alfa Mitos, Citroen DS3, Renault Clio RS

#55 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I think he might be referring to the cooper s. I remember a family member sold his 2004 cooper s late last year for around 90.

#56 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

What's wrong with the Mini (non S) versions in KL?

#57 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

@beaver oic. 2004 eh, that's getting on 10 years old now.

@boys: it's kind of a slow car without the supercharger. You've got the same low driving position and firm suspension, which are not necessarily advantages in everyday KL traffic, especially when there isn't the additional power and speed to make up for (or exploit) them. Distances covered in KL can be quite long as well, so I prefer a more powerful car to a less powerful one. This is underlined when you're paying a premium for something like a Mini.

Well, since duties for cars from Japan are being dropped now, I guess we can all look forward to more interesting Japanese cars! I personally would be very happy to be able to afford an MX-5, CX-5 or Maxda 3 MPS :)

#58 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Interesting perspective. I do agree that it's sucky to pay a huge premium for a Mini when in reality it isn't that much better than many other cars that are cheaply priced. I agree that the Mini is over-priced (In SG) for its parts. I don't have friends who drive the Mini in SG, but I do have two friends who drive the Mini John Cooper Works and S and they've commented that it's a good and fast car because it's a small car that is powered by a 1.6 CC engine. On the Toyota Corolla, for instance, the larger sized car typically comes in the 1.3 cc and 1.5 cc engines, despite being larger.

Just gonna toss the other view out in the open (might or might not be true):

The other view from a different vantage point about the traffic conditions, that I've more commonly heard is: In SG, there are traffic lights at almost every junction, and the roads are so crowded at jammed at peak periods so much so that a car with a fast engine is functionally useless so even if the car can go from 1 to 100 MPH in 6 seconds, you'll have to stop at the next traffic light.

Maybe roads in KL/M/ysia are sufficiently different!

I do have a dream car, however, and it's not a Ferrari or Lamborghini. LOL.

#59 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Oh yeah, huge difference in driving conditions in KL and Singapore. Drives of 45-60 minutes in KL (with moderate traffic) are pretty common. Such durations would be considered extreme in Singapore. Also, KL roads are way more interesting to drive on. Changes in elevation, six lane toll-highways with sweeping turns and views across the valley, and of course, loads of destinations and driving roads outside KL.

The reason why the Mini Cooper S has more power is simply because it has a supercharger under the hood. Japanese makers don't like forced induction systems (I'm not sure why), but forced induction is what most European marques have been relying on for the last decade or so to increase power and reduce emissions.

I would probably agree with your view that a very powerful car is useless in Singapore. But something like a Mini Cooper S isn't really in that category. You'll still be exploiting a great deal of its power even in Singapore road conditions. A 6-litre SLS AMG probably is, though, and I've seen more than a few of those pottering around Singapore, not to mention your Ferraris, 911s, and so on.

#60 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I absolutely detest driving to, from or in KL. The city is such a clusterfuck. My god.

Melbourne, on the other hand, was nice to drive in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users