• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MOP

MOP

Megatimer

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hello I have seen The Rake online but seems pretty expensive as 30$ per magazine.

The book arthisans of The Rake is almost 200$.

Does it worths buying it?
ANY

#2 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

I don't really understand what you are saying, but no, The Rake isn't worth it. I don't buy it.

#3 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

It an interesting magazine but I would rather save the money and use it to book those big coffee table books on Savile Row or any
Book that helps me increase my sartorial and business knowledge.

#4 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

It's a lot of money to pay for the privilege of reading advertising.

#5 MOP

MOP

Megatimer

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:19 AM

And the book? Looks nice but 150+30 of shipping seems mad.
ANY

#6 MOP

MOP

Megatimer

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

It an interesting magazine but I would rather save the money and use it to book those big coffee table books on Savile Row or any
Book that helps me increase my sartorial and business knowledge.

Could you recommend some other than the Gentleman one?

I have the Vass handmade book and is a top one as well.
ANY

#7 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm not ashamed to admit it i did subscribe to rake but for only 6 months. But this was before i discovered The Kerbau and Styleforum. I found the mag at Changi airport and for 20 bucks and i thought i was not bad. The rake did start my interest on bespoking so i'll give them the credit for that. Although in saying that I've noticed most the articles or the contributors writes in Styleforum. Besides the glossy pictures the content is about the same as Styleforum.

#8 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

^ I also have a standing subscription as the magazine does tend to bring you to some interesting avenues (Rubinacci fittings/stories of corrupt American politicians/incest/fictional high-stake poker games to name a few).

Admittedly, it's goes way (and I mean, waaaaaay) too far on many occasions in its' advertising blitzkreig. For example, in their "Essential investments" section, their deemed a picnic set by Alfred Dunhill to be a worthy investment which every man shouldn't be without (yes, really). But I guess that pays the bills for a magazine which is so very niche.

At $20 every 2nd month, it's a reasonable (IMO) price for the pleasure of reading a hardcopy magazine to break up the hours I spend online on menswear sites, and also I feel the menswear community stands to lose more rather than to gain if this magazine were to go under.

And to the silent executives of the Rake who scan this forum, I expect my Cartier Tank Watch, which I would have gone on perfectly content in life without owning one if not for your magazine, to be in the mail for this.

#9 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Another good thing about this mag, it comes every 2 months. You think your subscription is over..... Boom is at your door. Hehehehehe. Now they've bundled Rake Time together, not that i can afford any of the watches in there but a fun read nonetheless.
The examples reads by TS & Kotmj, personally i think is very technical books unless your thinking delving deeper into your passion. The Rake is a good alternative to GQ or Esquire, which has whole lot more advertising and shite. For something that is produced in this part of the world, it has quality even to the paper that its printed on. Kudos to them.

#10 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

This newest issue of the rake - the quality of the paper they use has gone down, and overall tone of some articles has increased substantially in douchebaggedness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users