kotmj

The suiting thread

DSC05327.jpg?raw=1

More organisation. The stuff used to lie around, which wasn't such a big problem if there weren't so many of them. I want to have a designated storage location/container for every stage and type of garment and raw materials.

IMG_9424-01.jpg?raw=1

It occured to me that this whole unit is my working space. That not many people have so much space to work in. Also, I determine when I come in and go out. I have the whole pantry to myself, wakakaka. Personal toilet, too. Also, I have no boss, being at the top of this particular economic chain. No office politics. Nobody can fire me, ahahaha.

When I feel like lying down, I do so on the sofa. Every now and then I go out onto the (personal) balcony.

Ehhh, no. I no longer think it makes sense to have what one would typialy call an "apprentice", i.e. young, feckless, not particularly smart young people doing menial tasks. Bespoke tailoring is sufficiently profitable that it can afford to have very smart guys (VSG) as its practitioners. Customers don't want to have their clothes cut and fitted by warm bodies who spent years in training so that they can now, after decades, not suck at it. Customers want to deal with VSG who received some instruction to start them off but are otherwise pretty much self taught because they are so good at teaching themselves. Talented guys. Not warm bodies. You wouldn't call them "apprentices" because they are smarter, brighter and have more entrpreneurial energy than you. Also, because after a few months they are sta\arting to teach YOU stuff.

Anyway, the "top level" is my personal space. That why top levels guys are called as such. Any apprentice would be assigned one of the two balconeys wth a beach umbrella for shade. For toilet, he pees out of the balconey.

Another customer forwarded me this. Much ado about a little discovery of a Romanian factory belonging to one of the French luxury conglomerates (LVMH?).

https://www.waremakers.com/the-post/how-the-luxury-industry-makes-a-fortune-through-deception

It's never just about the product anyway. It's about the customer wanting to identify with the values and way of life espoused by the brands, which is why they produce such expensive marketing campaigns.

f232f50a94ff44358334f6858db77161.jpg

The three brothers who own Naza. I was told they own the MTM tailoring shop in Publika--I forgot the name. All the corporate uniforms and suits of the Naza group are made by that shop. I imagine the clothes they are wearing were made there.

I got called by a lady asking if I'd like to participate in a wedding fair in a shopping mall that has historically not done well and which, even after an expensive redevelopment, is not doing well. But the mall is cojoined with some Malaysian offices of US investment banks and a business hotel and is in the very center of KL. For one week, they are running a fair of custom-made wedding stuff. For each product type, they are looking for one vendor. There is a vendor for custom jewelry, custom gown, custom shoes, custom wedding invitations, and of course the hotel is also advertising itself.

To be the vendor for custom wedding suits, I need to pay them a chunk of money I could otherwise use to buy a very nice German lens as well as leave some suited mannequins with them.

Anyway, I've not been to this mall and will be meeting on Wednesday with the fair organiser at the mall during lunch hour because that is when the mall has any traffic.

f232f50a94ff44358334f6858db77161.jpg

The three brothers who own Naza. I was told they own the MTM tailoring shop in Publika--I forgot the name. All the corporate uniforms and suits of the Naza group are made by that shop. I imagine the clothes they are wearing were made there.

middle guy's jacket is too short. the one in khaki looks to tight mid-section. black looks pretty fine but i like bigger lapels.

Almost forgot that I was told the mall hasn't a tailor as a tenant and is keen to have one. But currently I am not ready to be based in a mall. Just last week I was called by a different mall and offered a unit to lease. I said they're the wrong mall for me!

I got called by a lady asking if I'd like to participate in a wedding fair in a shopping mall that has historically not done well and which, even after an expensive redevelopment, is not doing well. 

Hmm...which mall is this? Sunway Putra a.k.a The Mall? Lot 10? 

I can't picture JT inside a mall shop hanging around and drafting patterns.....then attend to people who come in for a rm900 suit which needs to be ready in 1 week.

She lined up a competitor right behind me such that if I could not give a definite yes during our meeting just now, she'd give the spot to the other guy. Who says he knows me. In fact, the other guy offered to pay before I do so he'd get the spot, but she insisted on fair procedure.

So I said yes. It's at The Intermark.

Maybe a mall front for your diffusion brand. People expect less, pay less and get less.

I don't think that will ever happen. Because I have no interest in low end stuff. I can't get myself excited about the stuff.

I can't picture JT inside a mall shop hanging around and drafting patterns.....then attend to people who come in for a rm900 suit which needs to be ready in 1 week.

Malls are really strange environments. Overwhelmingly artificial. Like nearly all office environments. The air is unnatural, the flooring is fake, everything you see and touch is man made and basically cheap replica of real stuff (e.g. the shop fittings are like Hollywood movie sets, meant to be disposable). I'd rather spend my time in a hut in the jungle than in a mall.

Also, there is nearly nothing in a mall you can eat that is good for you. Just crap that will make you die due to a habit of consuming the stuff. I mean, we all die, but I don't want to die because of the stuff I habitually eat.

DSC05473.jpg?raw=1

The left and right sleeves are mounted in slightly different rotational positions on the armsyce. The "L" and "R" marks indicate this.

When I made this customer his first suit, he was literally fresh out of uni, a meager few months into his first job. His superior is my customer, so he came. Face unbelievably fresh, like a baby.

Office life really changes a person's body. And long term mall-food consumption. His hips are now jutting forward more than before when standing due to sitting too much, and he has lost his symmetrical posture now having a dropped right shoulder. Also, there is a slight stoop. These are changes typical to what I've observed across several customers as they spend more years at their desks.

A raising of the back neck indicates a newly acquired stoop.

DSC05474.jpg?raw=1

In some cases, due to spending most of their waking hours in a sitting posture, their standing posture is like a sitting posture, only with legs extended. When I give them instructions to get them--even for just a moment--into a primordial standing posture, they lack the muscle awareness/memory to get into that posture. It's like battery chickens, that, when freed from cages, can't walk like normal chickens would but instead totter around.

I just googled for standing postures. This picture of an ancient Egyptian statue shows how humans would stand if they did not spend most of their lives sitting.

greekstatues_sq-a539142bad77e190c92e6433