kotmj

The suiting thread

I further communicated to her:

IMG_20190112_100305.jpg?raw=1

Me: This trouser leg doesn't seem to have seen an iron since it was made. Why the undulating lines which suggest major unmitigated creases. This is Fred Astaire wearing bespoke garments by the best tailors freshly pressed before performance, not a tramp by the roadside.

Today, I accepted the first-ever order for a fully canvassed jacket for a woman. A DB, no less. I normally categorically refuse to make for women, unless it's for undemanding suits like corporate uniforms. It's partly my lack of familiarity with this genre of tailoring, and partly how there is so much unexplored territory in menswear that I don't feel the need to go into womenswear.

I never really had to reject that many requests though. Women tend to buy their simple, inexpensive suits off-the-rack.

This female customer today is the wife of an existing customer. I made her husband his wedding jacket four years ago. Here's what he wrote to me to secure an appointment.

Hi Jeremy, 

Happy new year! 

Hope this e-mail finds you well. It has been a while--you made me a double-breasted linen jacket that I used at my wedding about 4 years ago. You'll be happy to hear that it's still going strong (as is the marriage thankfully). 

I'd like to commission a fully-canvassed suit from you please. ......

It turns out the wife took a strong liking to her husband's DB, but her husband wouldn't allow her to wear it.

Both husband and wife ordered clothes today: a suit for the husband and a jacket for the wife.

While I may not have seen him in four years, he has sent at least one of his colleagues my way---a partner from the SG office of BCG who ordered two suits.

10 hours ago, NoName said:

Would you consider something more subtle, yet sends out a strong message?Related image

But will it enable me to be on the golf course by 5:30?

I may have hit upon a coping mechanism for dealing with dumb people. (Their inaptitude drives me crazy.) Basically, I don't. I tell someone else what needs to be communicated to the dumb ones, and let him deal with them.

So it appears Julian doesn't read his IG DMs. So I sent him an email, and forwarded it to his mother as well.

His mother wrote back, saying she's his manager (I sort of knew) and would like to know more of what I have in mind.

Fundamentally, it's very simple, yet difficult to communicate in writing. It's something best communicated implicitly over a period of time. Or maybe that's a reflection of my ineffective way of doing business. JT makes available its know-how and capacity to JY, and in exchange JY does what he can for JT, primarily in giving JT exposure. The exposure goes both ways since we BOTH need exposure. (JY has an Olympic fund you can donate to. Apparently, training in Canada is expensive, go figure.)

The producer at Bernama which I visited last week said if I see any program on Bernama I'd like to sponsor, I just have to tell him. It can be arranged.

Problem is I actually have to watch Bernama to arrive at ideas. I don't even own a TV, and will never subscribe to Astro, which is a stupid company. I know because my cousin had a C-suite job there.