The suiting thread

kotmj

IMG_20210127_153241.jpg?raw=1

I've been experimenting with various means of recording my voice. Also, ordered a teleprompter off Lazada. It affixes itself to the front of the lens. 

I've been listening to my own voice critically. It's one thing to just speak in day-to-day situations, and another when the voice is a performance meant to be consumed by others. 

I think being compelled to make videos of myself may change the way I communicate daily. I can already tell that I speak too quickly and with a rather high pitch. My reference for a great voice presentation is Morgan Freeman. 

He did a documentary for National Geographic on Netflix and I realise there was nothing natural about the way he speaks for the camera. It was slow, leisurely, and carefully enunciated. He spoke that way throughout just so you would hear him.

Haha have thought about the way I speak and communicate a lot. This video at 4:17 onwards is pretty informative on how to speak better. 

I don't think you speak fast or have a high pitch, faster than normal perhaps but maybe its your first video and you're nervous/don't know what to say etc...

Speaking faster/high pitch isn't necessarily a bad thing, can be used to convey excitement/enthusiasm. And too much of anything is almost always bad.

Morgan Freeman recommends to yawn or basically relax your vocal cords to sound better. 

Being longwinded and unrelated...

The opposite however is pretty much how south east asians speak, very monotonous with improper stressing on syllables. Doesn't sound melodious to the ears. I remember watching/reading somewhere that the ears find a very specific tone structure (unsure of the term) pleasing. And that most English words are pronounced/written in that way to sound nice. Hope i can find the video/article.

• It's something like this - Plea sing. The "sing" part should have a lower tone than "Plea"
  • In pinyin it might be Plea (1st tone) Sing (4th tone)
  • Whereas Plea (4th tone) Sing (1st tone) sounds weird

I also have a theory that citizens in countries with more tones/better pronunciation have more singers. Chinese - Taiwan/Hongkong and the English speaking countries but I ramble.

Interested on what you guys think!

16 hours ago, kotmj said:

I think being compelled to make videos of myself may change the way I communicate daily. I can already tell that I speak too quickly and with a rather high pitch. My reference for a great voice presentation is Morgan Freeman. 

He did a documentary for National Geographic on Netflix and I realise there was nothing natural about the way he speaks for the camera. It was slow, leisurely, and carefully enunciated. He spoke that way throughout just so you would hear him.

David Attenborough's style of speaking is also quite nice.

No editing has taken place: No colour grading, just a single take, and nothing has been done to the audio whatsoever. Eventually, I will have to put some time into organising the background, including lighting the background. The audio needs a lot of massaging to boost presence, remove background noises, and to eliminate hiss. The visuals will need colour grading. 

IMG_20210129_164635.jpg?raw=1

Dropped by Aeon 1U to buy lunch today. I wish brown rice instead of white rice would be made available. They used to sell steamed quinoa, but somehow stopped. 

I understand that people get their food from food panda and grab food and such, but commercially prepared dishes are almost inedible for me. I tried to find something to order from these two, but failed to find anything. People douse their dishes with cooking oil, put eggs and chicken into everything, and have the belief that vegetables and legumes are vestigial. Predictably, they are fat and cancering. 

I ate this late in the day, at 16:30. It's the first thing I ate today. I've been doing this intermittent fasting thing and so far, I like it. 

It's actually impossible to have any metabolic disorders if one eats like this. 

14 hours ago, vrp said:

notice a glimmering effect on the left, around the shoji screens in the background, 1:00 runtime onwards, auto focus?

I noticed it too. It's the AF. Every time my head moves back and forth a little, the AF tries to keep up.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:03 AM, terrifictrousers said:

Haha have thought about the way I speak and communicate a lot. This video at 4:17 onwards is pretty informative on how to speak better. 

I don't think you speak fast or have a high pitch, faster than normal perhaps but maybe its your first video and you're nervous/don't know what to say etc...

Speaking faster/high pitch isn't necessarily a bad thing, can be used to convey excitement/enthusiasm. And too much of anything is almost always bad.

Morgan Freeman recommends to yawn or basically relax your vocal cords to sound better. 

Being longwinded and unrelated...

The opposite however is pretty much how south east asians speak, very monotonous with improper stressing on syllables. Doesn't sound melodious to the ears. I remember watching/reading somewhere that the ears find a very specific tone structure (unsure of the term) pleasing. And that most English words are pronounced/written in that way to sound nice. Hope i can find the video/article.

• It's something like this - Plea sing. The "sing" part should have a lower tone than "Plea"
  • In pinyin it might be Plea (1st tone) Sing (4th tone)
  • Whereas Plea (4th tone) Sing (1st tone) sounds weird

I also have a theory that citizens in countries with more tones/better pronunciation have more singers. Chinese - Taiwan/Hongkong and the English speaking countries but I ramble.

Interested on what you guys think!

Great to hear what you think. I've not given much thought to my voice. It has always worked well enough that it was not an issue. But in videos it becomes the dominant element, so deserves more attention.

I've watched that TED talk before but as usual forgot everything in it. Glad I rewatched it. I wonder if there are voice classes by voice coaches I can take.

I wonder how far I can take my voice. People go to the gym and do very strenuous stuff to see where they can take their bodies. Few people do that for their voice.

I once sponsored some performance garments for a group of hobbyist singers. They invited me to a few of their events etc. I came to realise they do not speak like normal people. Because they worked so hard on their voices, even in everyday speech their voices have a special quality. They are very sensitive to what their voices are doing, and have exceptional control over it.

I have major grievances with Microsoft and with Windows. Compared to Android, it's just ridiculous.

1. It keeps downloading multi-gigabyte update packages in the background, reducing my internet speed to that of glaciers.

2. Unlike Android that asks for your permission when it wants to download an update, Windows does not tell you, and it tries very hard to make it impossible for you to stop it.

3. Every time you restart Windows, it tries to download updates even if, in your previous session, you disabled Windows Update from services.msc

4. It allows all kinds of other programs to download updates without asking you explicitly for permission, and even when you have explicitly denied permission in a previous session. It does so stealthily, without letting you know. But you know anyway, because your internet speed is almost nil.

5. It develops all kinds of problems. Just now, it just would not connect to the internet via wifi. I had to reset all network adapters to get it to work.

6. It simply would not recognise my Canon laser printer. It never has. I print VIA MY PHONE. My phone can connect and output to a Canon laser printer. My PC can't. 

When will Microsoft just die?

On 1/30/2021 at 10:46 PM, kotmj said:

I have major grievances with Microsoft and with Windows. Compared to Android, it's just ridiculous.

1. It keeps downloading multi-gigabyte update packages in the background, reducing my internet speed to that of glaciers.

2. Unlike Android that asks for your permission when it wants to download an update, Windows does not tell you, and it tries very hard to make it impossible for you to stop it.

3. Every time you restart Windows, it tries to download updates even if, in your previous session, you disabled Windows Update from services.msc

4. It allows all kinds of other programs to download updates without asking you explicitly for permission, and even when you have explicitly denied permission in a previous session. It does so stealthily, without letting you know. But you know anyway, because your internet speed is almost nil.

5. It develops all kinds of problems. Just now, it just would not connect to the internet via wifi. I had to reset all network adapters to get it to work.

6. It simply would not recognise my Canon laser printer. It never has. I print VIA MY PHONE. My phone can connect and output to a Canon laser printer. My PC can't. 

When will Microsoft just die?

If you are using Windows 10, just set the network to metered connection, that should stop all Windows updates.

All Settings -> Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi -> (select your Wi-Fi network) -> Metered Connection, set to "On"

image.png.86687e82d81188b631343d32bb70dd90.png

Untitled_1.1.2.jpg?raw=1

^stills capture from video

Did more trials. Everything is improved over previous trials. The voice recording REALLY improved by NOT recording in the camera, and by positioning the mike as close as absolutely possible to my mouth while still remaining out of the visible frame.

I want to light the background next.

13 hours ago, vrp said:

If you are using Windows 10, just set the network to metered connection, that should stop all Windows updates.

All Settings -> Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi -> (select your Wi-Fi network) -> Metered Connection, set to "On"

image.png.86687e82d81188b631343d32bb70dd90.png

Thanks! I just did this. I went a step further and switched to "Always" when it comes to limiting Background Data usage.

So, the take from yesterday. Enhanced visuals from having been shot in S-Log2 then graded with a LUT. Audio is freaking amazing: my voice is rendered richly. The audio has been processed to remove noise. All post processing done in Davinci Resolve 17.

I wonder if I can actually make watchable videos where I review the cloth bunches I have based on the following structure:

Cloth bunch review

Specs

• Weight (in grams and ounces)

• Category of use (jacketing, suiting, trousering, shirting, coating, formal)

• Composition, fineness rating (merino, saxon, mohair, cashmere, escorial, linen, cotton, blend)

• Country of manufacture

• Cost relative to peers

What it is intended for

Walkthrough the patterns in the bunch

• Plains

• Checks

• Stripes

• Weaves

Properties of the cloth

• Types of weaves (panama, twill, prunelle, moleskin, hopsack, mesh, gabardine, flannel, high twist, uptwist, etc)

• Surface finish (clean cut, semi brushed, brushed, matt,)

• Luster

• Colours (dye density, shade of black, warmth of greys, shade of navy)

• Porosity

• Handle

• Spring

• Visual association (flashy K-pop, luxury luster, luxury matte, mid segment Italian, H&M, vintage, etc.)

• Mouldability

• Crease resistance

• Crease recovery

• Abrasion resistance

Comparison to peers & value for money

• Within the same brand

• With other brands

• With other categories of cloths that perform a similar function

• Options at a higher price bracket

• Options at a lower price bracket

Concluding remarks

As the teleprompter hasn't arrived, I tried memorizing my lines. Man, it was so tough. I couldn't go any further because I do not want to use my brain to memorize things. It's what you do in school to pass exams, not for the real world. 

Untitled_2.3.1.jpg?raw=1

What a cinematic look. I was shocked this is a screen capture from a video. I've been wondering if I should put ONE MORE light in the background. It would be great to have a spotlight on the cloth book, which currently looks so undistinguished.