The suiting thread

kotmj

It's kinda bizarre to have a full sized studio monitor introduced in 1974 and which weighs 31kg per box in a kitchen. With amplifiers and all that. One of the benefits of not having a wife. 

I find that I am not an audiophile. Audiophiles have dedicated listening rooms, which have been acoustically treated with bass traps etc. They have a megabucks system. They have a "throne" (listening armchair/sofa). They listen to vinyl or stream in high bitrates. 

Me, when I am preparing and consuming food and drinks in the kitchen, would sometimes like to listen to something. 

When in the living room, would also like to have sound reproduction capabilities. 

When in my bedroom, would sometimes like to fall asleep listening to audiobooks. 

When at work, making patterns or cutting cloth, would sometimes appreciate some music. 

The only source is YouTube or Audible or Netflix on my phone, streaming via, get this, Bluetooth.

So I have 4 hifi systems. None conform to an audiophile's idea of a real system. 

Let's look back 11 months. 

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/covid19-malaysias-daily-cases-jump-103-new-cluster-emerges

Today, we have between 30-40x as many daily infections. ICU wards are full. We've only vaccinated 1.5% of the population, but are out of vaccine. The government couldn't print money quickly enough for its own expenses. Parliament has been suspended, indefinitely, as far the administration is concerned. People are being fined 5-figure sums left and right. 

Life goes on. 

Previously, I drafted this for the website:

"In the area of fit, we aim for near perfect front and back vertical balances. This is a requirement for the hourglass silhouette to fully manifest itself, and for the fronts of the jacket to hang close to the body when unbuttoned, as opposed to splaying open. This goal for each jacket we cut by itself makes us unique among Malaysian tailors."

I knew that I needed to revisit that copy to tighten things up. Here's the better version:

"In the area of fit, we aim for near perfect front and back vertical balances. Only so can the hourglass silhouette fully manifest itself. The other advantage: the fronts of the jacket hang close to the body when unbuttoned, as opposed to splaying open. This goal by itself makes us unique among Malaysian tailors."

20 hours ago, kotmj said:

I don't have an audiophile's temperament. Actually a lot of what they do is silly and superstitious. 

I have a five piece wireless setup from Sonos - so fair to say its pretty far removed from what an audiophile would even consider a real hifi system. 

Compared to the single bluetooth speaker I typically use (or just direct from TV/ laptop), it is probably a 100x improvement, mostly in how much enjoyment I get personally.  

If I think use case; I rent an apartment with an open space plan - wires are my enemy. I have little interest in investing hours to find the right kit - the current system is self contained; no need for amps, no worries about matching/compatible components. 

This system also allows me to pack up my five piece system easily and quickly when I move apartments. 

^ Although no knock on audiophiles. Like many enthusiast pursuits, its driven by passion and emotion. They love the hobby so they go deep. 

Why lust over a Lange when your phone can tell the time? Many sane people may ask. 

There are so many bottlenecks to audio enjoyment, and some audiophiles seem to take minimizing those (perceived) bottlenecks to an extreme. The main one I find people underestimate is the crap audio compression formats of default Spotify/YouTube etc, which makes a lot of audio lose clarity. Bluetooth connection is fine for non-lossless audio formats provided the source is decent (I.e. 256-320kbps and above).

img_20210508_223936.jpg?raw=1

^Late night listening 

I am puzzled why people seem to like earbuds and headphones. There's nothing like great big speakers. The majesty, the scale, the fidelity, the resolution.

My brother is very enamoured with his top-of-the-line Sony noise cancelling headphones. I tried it in his house. It is indeed very good. But only for headphones. They are nothing like real speakers. 

Which reminds me of a time when I was in a Sennheiser shop in KLCC. I needed earphones. The salesman let me try several top-of-the-line models. I honestly couldn't tell a sonic difference between them. They were sharply expensive, and weren't immediately impressive compared to my recently deceased Mi earphones. 

I looked around, and while I had no intention of using headphones, thought I'd try one. Since I'm already there, you know. I asked to try an entry level model. 

It fucking blew away all and every earphone I have tried, even their most expensive ones. 

I learnt that day that a better way of increasing performance of a device or system is not through one with higher level spec. It is to GO UP IN FORMAT. 

To go from earphones to headphones. To go from Bluetooth speakers to hifi. 

I was in Sunway just now to get something. Sunway is really not my area. I'm almost never there. 

As I was leaving that area, I drove past Sunway Medical Center. It was all new to me. Right opposite is a mall of sorts. Lots of F&B outlets in that mall. Burger King, etc. 

People get fed through these F&B outlets, I thought to myself. They get a daily necessity, food, through businesses laden with the absolute highest operating costs. Who says nobody likes to pay retail? Jeremy, you are objectively wrong. Retail works. The proof is right here. 

It occurred to me JT should be in this mall. Not 2 seconds later, I looked up and saw Cayman Tailor. 

IMG_20210509_200248.jpg?raw=1

I went to the mall opposite Sunway Medical Centre that I drove past a couple days ago. It's called Sunway Geo Avenue. 

There is an empty lot right next to Cayman. It used to be a vegetarian cafe. 

This location has considerable visibility. It's immediately opposite the main entrance of Sunway Medical Centre.

I texted the real estate agent who strangely shares the same surname as me. How much? I wanted to know. 

RM4500, he said. 

Preternaturally cheap, I thought. 

Alas, I won't be able to move on this unit. Despite it being the perfect size (1600 sft) and the sweet location. 

This is because I'm not convinced covid will be over anytime soon. Hibernation is still the best approach for now. 

Also, I'd need to sink in a lot for fitting out the interior. 

At rm4.5k for 1600sqf fronting a major artery in Sunway, this unit will be taken in no time. Too quickly for me to react. 

This means I need to put myself into a position where I can react immediately when I find an opportunity like this. This means cash + an existing relationship with an interior designer + contractor. 

7 hours ago, kotmj said:

Alas, I won't be able to move on this unit. Despite it being the perfect size (1600 sft) and the sweet location. 

This is because I'm not convinced covid will be over anytime soon. Hibernation is still the best approach for now. 

Also, I'd need to sink in a lot for fitting out the interior. 

At rm4.5k for 1600sqf fronting a major artery in Sunway, this unit will be taken in no time. Too quickly for me to react. 

Extremely prophetic.

tonik.jpg?raw=1

Quick pic of original Tonik. Can't believe the jacket is askew on the mannequin. After 9 years of dressing mannequins professionally (you could even say competitively), you'd think it won't happen. Proper IG pic coming when I get the chance to shoot it.

• Like 1

screenshot_20210512_002426_com.instagram

This appeared in my IG feed. I notice two things. 

The width/roominess of the sleeve is in proportion to the bodice. It doesn't matter if the actual arms are very slender. In other words, sleeves are not cut to the actual arms. They follow a fixed ratio to the bodice. 

Second: The jacket is very long. 

It's not possible to make a living as a tailor in KL cutting suits like this. 

Officine Paladino launched a new lookbook/bunch. The distributor in Singapore kept asking to talk to me about it. When can I call you, he asked. When I forgot to reply, he asked for my written opinion via WhatsApp. 

He is a dear business partner. He has been a vendor since early in my career, when I had to be honest by telling him I probably won't sell much from the many bunches he gave me. After all, I'm like the most unlikely tailor KL has seen. (Over subsequent years JT developed to become one of his top customers in KL. To my relief.) 

The bunch in question was named Eco-Evolution. It was developed for travellers: high twist for crease resistance and recovery, and treated for water and stain resistance. Something James Bond would appreciate. Or any random globally travelling salesman. 

But now is such an inhospitable climate to introduce a travellers bunch into. Let me be more correct: Now is such a bad time to introduce ANY new bunch. Or new product. Or new anything.

I wrote to him to say that, then, deleted that message. I need to find something more meaningful to say. 

We had quite the scare this afternoon when a friend of mine texted me asking:

"Which block r u at now? Colonial Loft?" 

Why would he ask such a question, I thought to myself. 

My mind delivered a startling answer: An impending EMCO of Colonial Loft. Images flashed through my mind of lorry loads of soldiers erecting barbed wire fences. And of food handouts. Which I would have to survive on for the next month or so. The Mayang boy checked Waze to see of any police presence around Empire City. I went on the balcony to survey the situation. 

Turns out my friend's friend has a unit in Colonial Loft she would like to rent out.